DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

404 concept

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Veteran Member

404 pages are served when a page is not found.
    But if the pages that is not found was called as a sub page, DNN reverts to the page.
    So, www.domain.com/ghjhkj gives a 404 but www.domain.com/about-us/ghjhkj reverts to www.domain.com/about-us/

From a users perspective this seems fine. Or at least not to awkward. But today I heard that this might not be great for SEO.

Any thoughts on this?

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
    Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
    We just love DNN
    https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Tycho,

I remember this has been discussed a while ago in the original forum on dnnsoftware.com. The behaviour is because in the Url www.domain.com/about-us/ghjhkj, "ghjhkj" could be a parameter expected by a module on the page www.domain.com/about-us, and therefore handled as such by the core framework (as this has no idea about what parameters or querystrings are expected/handled by the modules).

For SEO I don't see too much problems, as urls like this should normally not be found in the sitemap or in any links from other sites. I never found such stuff in my logs. But I might be wrong.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Well, it happens mainly of a page doesn't exist anymore. So, there was about-us/location-amsterdam and the location has been terminated. Referrer links to that page should resolve in a 404.

Although from a UX point of view I prefer the current solution, I'm having discusssions with a SEO company looking for the ideal solution. 

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
        Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
        We just love DNN
        https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Tycho,

you can use the 40fingers SEO redirect module for this afaik (force 404 urls feature).

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Posted By Michael Tobisch on 31 Jan 2021 03:44 AM

Tycho,

you can use the 40fingers SEO redirect module for this afaik (force 404 urls feature).

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

True

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved