DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Active Forums search - "The service is unavailable."

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Growing Member

Hi Nukers,

Another Active Forums issue.  When the "Search Forums" feature is used, the website returns a " The service is unavailable" page.

I raised a ticket with the web hosting company (Managed.com), and they were not able to resolve it.

Has anyone else dealt successfully with this issue and can shed some light on it?

DNN 9.6.1,  Active Forums 6.3.3

Thanks

Veteran Member

It's not surprising that Managed wasn't able to address the issue. Managed is, IMHO, an excellent hosting company. And I have a lot of experience getting good help from them. But, it's not their job to solve problems with third party modules.

So, I recommend that you go to the source for help. Here are two places:

http://activeforums.org/C...id/100/Default.aspx, and there is a Contact Us form.

https://github.com/ActiveForums/ActiveForums, where you might want to log an issue.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Thanks Joe.

The Active Forums site hasn't had a post there since 2018, and I doubt anyone is at the other end of the contact form, hence my post here.

Similar vintage on the most recent code modifications on GitHub for it.

I'd say Active Forums is well and truly dead at this stage.

What a pity to see so many DNN modules become abandoned.

Veteran Member

Well.. you are using Active Forums here too.
          It's true there has not been much activity, but we do try to fix any issues when we find them.
          Is there anything in the log DNN event log or log4net files?

Veteran Member

Posted By Timo Breumelhof on 23 Jul 2020 07:40 AM

Well.. you are using Active Forums here too.
            It's true there has not been much activity, but we do try to fix any issues when we find them.
            Is there anything in the log DNN event log or log4net files?

BTW, I have no control over either the AF Site or the Github repo.
            We are running a custom dll on this site ATM.

New Around Here

Perhaps you can enable Full-Text Search in Advanced Options in the module settings. This works better and faster than the default search.

Growing Member

Hi Han,

You legend!  Thanks.  That fixed the issue.  I forgot how unintuitive Active Forum administration is.  Of course, there's a whole other section of settings in the DNN module settings - outside of the modules' "Control Panel"

I toggled the Full Text search option (it was already on), and it started working.  I suspect that toggling this re-built the SQL catalogs and fixed the issue.

Thanks again everyone.

New Around Here

Hey Dude,

You might want to consider migrating to Mandeep's Live Forums module. I believe there is a pathway to transfer your AF historical activity. They just released an update and now offer a gamification add-on.

Good luck.

Growing Member

Thanks Peter. I'll have another look at this module soon. Has anyone got any feedback on this forum - any good? Conversion issues etc?

Veteran Member

As a FYI, we do have full control over the Source now and the Module is under active developement again.

https://github.com/DNNCom.../Dnn.CommunityForums

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved