DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Live server Install

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Growing Member

Hello

I would like to install DNN 9.7.0 to a live server but I am not sure of the process. I would be grateful if somebody could  point me to a tutorial or walk me through the steps.   

I have FileZilla FTP client, but I am unsure as to how to proceed to install DNN and connect it to the database.  Any help is appreciated as I don't want to mess up the database and a live install.

I have the option to create a database which I have done. 

Thank you

New Around Here

Hi, 

take a look at the Community Documentation "DNN DOCS". There is section called "Setting Up DNN" with a good step-by-step description including filesystem, IIS, SQL-Server and how to run the Installation Wizard.

Link: https://dnndocs.com/conte...-overview/index.html

If you have full access to the server you could take a look at a tool called nvQuickSite: https://www.nvquicksite.com 

Hope this helps for the beginning to get it up running.

Wolfgang

Veteran Member

As often said: nvQuickSite is a really helpful tool...

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

Growing Member

Oh thank you, I didn't realise that nvQuickSite could install on a remote server. That would be great.

Veteran Member

Posted By Joyce on 28 Aug 2020 05:45 AM
            Oh thank you, I didn't realise that nvQuickSite could install on a remote server. That would be great.

You should not use nvQuickSite on a live server.
            It's not intended for that and the security settings (NTFS) are not appropriate for a live server.
            I talked to David, the developer about this and he confirmed that it's not intended for use on a live server.

Growing Member

Thank you Timo, that explains why I have had so much difficulty getting nvQuickSite to connect to the remote server.

Growing Member

Posted By Wolfgang on 28 Aug 2020 03:31 AM

Hi, 

take a look at the Community Documentation "DNN DOCS". There is section called "Setting Up DNN" with a good step-by-step description including filesystem, IIS, SQL-Server and how to run the Installation Wizard.

Link: https://dnndocs.com/conte...-overview/index.html

If you have full access to the server you could take a look at a tool called nvQuickSite: https://www.nvquicksite.com 

Hope this helps for the beginning to get it up running.

Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang, for the information.  Unfortunately, the tutorial link is for installation on a local server, it doesn't seem to cover installing DNN on a remote server and nvQuickSite is for local installation only also.

Veteran Member

The instructions for installing on a local server DO work for a remote server, provided that you have the right kind of access to the remote server.

Generally this means that you need Remote Desktop access to that server and with administrator privileges. It also helps if you have SQL Server Management Studio available.

Who manages the remote server? Usually, if they are managed by hosting companies, they should be able to do the installation for you or provided the tools so that you can do it.
                  Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Thank you Joe
                    I am able to FTP files and create a database but I can't find a way to connect them, I don't appear to have full admin control. I'll try to get in touch with (1 and 1 IONOS) the hosting company as they offer DNN hosting. As you say they should provide the tools or connect me, I've wasted too much time already trying to connect to their server.

Warm regards

Veteran Member

You should be able to FTP a backup of the database file and a zip file of the root directory. From that they should be able to do the rest ...
                      Joe Craig
                      DNN MVP
                      Patapsco Research Group
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved