DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Downloading DNN

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Veteran Member

DNNCommunity.org needs a prominent like to the latest version of DNN with instruction on downloading it.  I can't seem to find anything like that!

Joe Craig
    DNN MVP
    Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Agreed 100%.

I think the best place and visual implementation would be a blue "Download" button in the top line, left of "Login Register"/"Logout Name". And someone has to be responsible that the link really goes to the latest release...

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Veteran Member

I agree, I added this to the todo list in our Trello board :-)

Veteran Member

Or maybe just "getting started" should be more visible..

Veteran Member

Both!

It's really important (to me!) that there should be a clear, visible, direct link so simple downloads of DNN.

I also think it's great to promote nvQuickSite. That's something I use ALL OF THE TIME. It saves time, prevents self-induced errors, and generally causes me to feel like a better human being ...
            Joe Craig
            DNN MVP
            Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Posted By Joe Craig on 17 Jul 2019 12:43 PM
              Both!

It's really important (to me!) that there should be a clear, visible, direct link so simple downloads of DNN.

I also think it's great to promote nvQuickSite. That's something I use ALL OF THE TIME. It saves time, prevents self-induced errors, and generally causes me to feel like a better human being ...

I don't think I agree with only a direct download link without instructions.
              That might lead to, for instance, Theme builders going to the source option which is not needed at all (this happend in the past)  .
              And IMO we should show both nvQuickSite and the "manual / server" option.
              I'm not a fan of the page with the separate buttons linking to the docs site TBH.
              I understand why it's done this way, but IMO not very reader friendly.

Veteran Member

We are, as my wife would say, "in violent agreement"!

I just want to make sure that newcomers can find what they need, along with any help that they need in getting up and running.
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Hi all,

to give my two cents: I would NOT add two or more buttons, as this might make the interface too confusing.

"Getting started" is not a good wording for people who search for a download link, and yes, I agree with Timo that leading newbies to the GitHub Page could result in downloads the user does not need, at least at the moment.

The solution could be either to link directly to the release page (on GitHub), like https://github.com/dnnsof.../releases/tag/v9.3.2 (for the current 9.3.2 release) and add some information right over the download links - e.g. something like

• Deploy.zip is for deploying DNN Platform using MS Web Platform installer
                  • Install.zip is for installing DNN Platform for a new website
                  • Source.zip is for ...

The other option would be a page on this site that explains the stuff above, and that could be possible at a more granular level (because on GitHub it would need place and to be added to every release), and other options (e.g. nvQuickSite). This page could include links to the relevant download page (https://github.com/dnnsof...rm/releases/latest), and to to the relevant DNNDocs pages.

If a version number of the latest release is displayed, someone has to update this timely to the release. I know that at the moment everyone is enthusiastic about the new community website, but there are (and will be) tasks that are a bit boring and have to be done nevertheless.

Happy DNNing!
                  Michael

Michael Tobisch
                  DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                  DNN Connect

Advanced Member

I think the download button maybe could be named Install and have a short page explaining how to install manually and showcase the nvQuickSite way too. The manual one could the have a link called "download latest release install package" that would just open the GitHub releases page. Then no link to maintain on each new release... As for source, I think at some point we will have some nice how to build steps in the repository readme... And finally , is the deploy package still an option that works?
                    You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved