DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN Platform Source doesn't build

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi,

I can not build the DNN_Platform_9.3.2.24_Source platform project in release or debug mode.  I'm using VS 2017 with all necessary .NET frameworks. But I can build DNN_Platform_9.2.0.366-777_Source.zip though. I really don't understand why. Are these uploads tested before uploaded? For example: https://github.com/dnnsof.../releases/tag/v9.3.2

Thanks

Veteran Member

There's no need at all to try to rebuild DNN. Tell us what problem you are trying to solve and we'll try to help.

The source code if one piece of the rebuild puzzle. You probably need to have your development environment set up properly for it to work. I'm not sure where to look for that information, though. Maybe someone else will chime in.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thanks for answering. We have a 9.3.2. installer version website installed and running and would need to add a parameter to core messaging module. Source code of platform's LIbrary and Web project needs to be changed slightly but Platform.sln does not compile after source zip download. I wonder if anyone can build it (in release or debug mode) right after download with VS 2017?

Strangely I can build Source from this zip: https://github.com/dnnsof...tree/master/09.02.00 just fine, but it's not compatible to 9.3.2. I know about other DNN versions that don't build after download as well therefore I think there must be some kind of catch. Either they uploaded the 9.x sources with lower VS versions or have something else installed to get the sources compiled.

Also we would be ok by not upgrade-ing DNN versions automatically and would rather have full control of the source.

New Around Here

To answer me and anyone else who can't build source projects: There are Components and Controls missing from ZIP. I compared the two versions (first I had to found one that builds) and saw that references to components and controls folders in platform folder were pointing to non existing files. I copied those missing files over from old to newer source platform version and got it working. I also had to change every single .csproj file and delete Target conditions which were clearly made with older VS versions.

Veteran Member

Re "adding a parameter" to the core messaging module.

Have you considered taking the Messaging Module and modifying it, and then using that in place of the DNN module? That seems a lot simpler, leaves open the possibility of upgrading in the future, etc.

Why would you not want to take that approach?
            Joe Craig
            DNN MVP
            Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

You could take a look at https://www.dnnsoftware.c...-901-source-package, but it is woefully out of date.

Be sure to read the last comment. Looks like there are plans to create some new instructions. DNN 9.4 is due in the fall.
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

Advanced Member

Yes the build process is still a work in progress and I hope we can have a better solution as part of the 9.4.0 release. Right now the project is split amongst a couple repositories and needs to download some parts in order to fully build. The recommended approach is to clone the Platform repository on GitHub and run the powershell script build.ps1 -Target BuildAll if I remember correctly. But there is a case sensitivity issue right now that for some reason the build is not completing locally but works in CI. I am still waiting myself on a reply about what that issue is. But like said before you could build just that module if needed.
                You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved