DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Error upgrading DNN Community Forums module(former Active Modules)

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I have v5.2.2 of the original Active Forums module installed on a site that I just successfully upgraded from v9.1.1 to DNN v9.4.4. The forums were working fine on DNN v9.1.1. However they do not work since the upgrade to v9.4.4 (error message I see in the logs is: 

"Method not found: 'System.String DotNetNuke.Entities.Modules.ModuleInfo.get_AuthorizedViewRoles()'."

So I tried to upgrade it to v6.5 of the new DNN Community Forums module (that was forked from the original Active Modules and which requires as minimum DNN v9.4). However the module upgrade fails with an error ("Invalid column name 'FileID'"). More error details below (but not the full error, as the full error text is about 9000 characters). Can anyone advise what is causing this error? This would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance for any insights/advice.

Failure SQL Execution resulted in following Exceptions: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid column name 'FileID'. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDatabaseConnectionProvider.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, Int32 commandTimeout, String query) at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider.ExecuteScriptInternal(String connectionString, String script, Int32 timeoutSec)

Veteran Member

You need to upgrade the module. DNN 9.3.x removed a ton of deprecated APIs. The error message that you received indicates a call to a now nonexistent API.

Version 6.3.3 at activeforums.org indicates that deprecated APIs have been removed.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thanks Joe for this. Following your ideas I did the following:

-> First I rolled back from v9.4.4 and restored my version 9.1.1 of DNN
        -> Then I tried to upgrade my v5.2.2 of Active Forums to v6.3.3. However I got the following error during the upgrade process (see excerpt from beginning of the error below) and the Package Installation was aborted:
        "Info Start Sql execution: 06.01.03.SqlDataProvider file

Failure SQL Execution resulted in following Exceptions: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid column name 'FileID'. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at...

-> What is bizarre is that, after the failed attempt to upgrade to v6.3.3 of Active Forums, the list of DNN extensions (accessed via the Persona Bar) shows Active Forums as being at v5.2.2 however the "Active Forums What's New" module is now at v6.3.3.

Any ideas on what is wrong or ideas for how to troubleshoot further? All advice is hugely appreciated!

Veteran Member

Posted By Joe Craig on 01 Feb 2021 04:27 PM
          You need to upgrade the module. DNN 9.3.x removed a ton of deprecated APIs. The error message that you received indicates a call to a now nonexistent API.

Version 6.3.3 at activeforums.org indicates that deprecated APIs have been removed.

Please note that active development of Active Forums moved to another repo, because we have no control over the old Repo.

Active Forums for DNNCMS on Github

The latest release is 6.5.0

See also this post by Will Strohl

Veteran Member

Posted By Eoghanon on 02 Feb 2021 04:34 AM
            Thanks Joe for this. Following your ideas I did the following:

-> What is bizarre is that, after the failed attempt to upgrade to v6.3.3 of Active Forums, the list of DNN extensions (accessed via the Persona Bar) shows Active Forums as being at v5.2.2 however the "Active Forums What's New" module is now at v6.3.3.

I guess that's because they are installed as separate modules and the What's new module install did succeed.
            FYI I think it's better to log these kind of issues on github (in the new Active Forums Repo)

Veteran Member

My apologies for pointing you to the wrong place. Thanks, Timo, for correcting me!
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thanks Timo for the guidance.

Following your advice I posted the two issues I encoutntered to the Github repo as follows:

These are the first issues I have ever posted to any Github project. Hope they are helpful in some way. A solution for them would be great.

Veteran Member

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved