Thanks for responding Timo. It's good to know your redirect module exists. I do use your Sytlehelper module. 1000 thank you's for that cool tool. It saved me on several ocassions. If you're ever in Oregon I will buy you a very large beer.
And yes many of the 301 redirects were not sending 301s. They were sending 200 OK. For example I set up a vanity URL /reformation500 to 301 to www.cui.edu/aboutcui/reformation500 but instead it sent a 200, showed the page at www.cui.edu/aboutcui/reformation500, and kept the URL as www.cui.edu/reformation500. Basically it was acting as a Rewrite.
It took me a long time to figure this out but I solved it a few minutes ago. As it turns out there is a hidden setting in TabSettings named "DoNotRedirect". When that Setting has a Value of "True" any 301 set up on page settings does not 301 but rather acts as a Rewrite and sends a 200. Crazy.
I have no idea how this setting got set to "True". I've looked all over Page Settings and there is nothing in the UI that I can find. So I did a db update, cleared cache, and voila - now we get proper 301s.
For those who come after me here are the steps to fix this issue:
Run the SQL update below (use at your own risk):
SET [SettingValue] = 'False'
WHERE ([SettingName] = 'DoNotRedirect')
Clear the DNN cache under the gear icon >> Server >> Clear Cache
Clear your browser cache
Test and use a tool like https://websniffer.cc/ to verify that your URL is sending a 301 properly.
- Mark out