DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Reusing pages and Navigation context

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi there,

Is there any way of keeping navigation references (menu context) when adding Existing Pages to the navigation?

Here is my scenario / what I am trying to accomplish:

My site has the following structure:

> Company
    > > About Us
    > > History
    > > Contacts
    > Business Unit A
    > > About Us (existing Company > About Us)
    > > Services
    > Business Unit B
    > > Services
    > > Some other page

Now, in the layout I have always 2 menus:
    Top - with First Level Navigation (Company | Business Unit A | Business Unit B) - DDR [*,0,0]
    Context - DDR for the pages 2nd and 3rd Level - DDR [+0,0,2]

So, the top navigation works as expected and the context navigation shows structure as desired.

My issue is that when I click on any of the Business Area's "About Us", I get redirected to the About Us page below the Company Menu. So, this way I am losing the navigation context.

The behaviour I am looking for is to keep the user in the page as if it really existed instead of being redirected. My goal is to reuse some of the pages in the site (the real structure is much more complex) throughout its structure but keeping the navigation context somehow coherent with what is defined in the menu structure.

Does anyone have any clue if this is possible? Help is really appreciated.

Thanks!

Veteran Member

There seems to be something "wrong" with the links in the "Context" menu. Please check the Urls of the pages and how they are created in the menu.

Another way to accomplish this could be a module that displays the subpages of a given page (defined in the module settings) - afair the old DNN.Links module should do that, or the Console module that is delivered with DNN, or Ventrian Child-Links.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

New Around Here

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply.

After digging a little deeper, I think that what I am trying to do is not possible in DNN. Even when I add a static (html) link to the Page (link) – “/Business Area B/About Us” - I am always redirected (301) to “/Company/About Us”. Because this is what the system is programmed to do.

So after being redirected we lose the context that I was trying to keep – I am no longer on some child page below Business Area A, where we saw and clicked on “About Us”.

I guess we will have to live with this, or replicate each page that we want to appear in multiple parts of the site and keep the context menus coherent.

What I first thought would be interesting, was if by clicking on a tab that is a link to another existing tab, that the system, behind the scenes, would handle this correctly showing the context and modules as if the selected tab was the linked one.

Anyway, if someone has any alternative approach to what I am trying to accomplish here, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
        Miguel

Veteran Member

Miguel,

you should double-check the Urls for the child pages - or maybe use one of the suggested modules.

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

Veteran Member

if you are creating a menu item from an existing page, it will "redirect" to the page with its context - and there is no option in DNN to change this. the only option for you would be creating the page as a copy of an existing page with all the modules as references to existing modules.
            Please be aware that Google usually does not like duplicate content and it might affect rating of your website.

Veteran Member

Posted By Miguel Vaz on 01 Jun 2021 05:56 AM

Hi there,

Is there any way of keeping navigation references (menu context) when adding Existing Pages to the navigation?

Here is my scenario / what I am trying to accomplish:

My site has the following structure:

> Company
              > > About Us
              > > History
              > > Contacts
              > Business Unit A
              > > Services
              > Business Unit B
              > > Services
              > > Some other page

Now, in the layout I have always 2 menus:
              Top - with First Level Navigation (Company | Business Unit A | Business Unit B) - DDR [*,0,0]
              Context - DDR for the pages 2nd and 3rd Level - DDR [+0,0,2]

So, the top navigation works as expected and the context navigation shows structure as desired.

My issue is that when I click on any of the Business Area's "About Us", I get redirected to the About Us page below the Company Menu. So, this way I am losing the navigation context.

The behaviour I am looking for is to keep the user in the page as if it really existed instead of being redirected. My goal is to reuse some of the pages in the site (the real structure is much more complex) throughout its structure but keeping the navigation context somehow coherent with what is defined in the menu structure.

Does anyone have any clue if this is possible? Help is really appreciated.

Thanks!

So If  I inderstand correctly you want the "Company > About Us" page top be the same as the "Businessunit A > About Us" page, but keep the navigation on Businessunit A ?
              In that case you canoot use a redirect as that will always take you a "the other part of the site" (which is what a redirect is made for).
              I think are better off placing the same modules on both "About  Us" pages by using place exising module with [ ] Copy unchecked.
              In that case editing a module on Page A will also reflect on Page B.

New Around Here

Thanks Sebastian and Timo,

I will use your solution of creating new pages and reusing the existing modules / content.

Cheers!
                Miguel

PS: Thanks to you all that keep this forums and community alive and spare the time to answer our dummy questions :) I see that most of the topics are answered the same guys! Really appreciate your efforts!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved