DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Error Message: Problem setting the folder permissions

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

It's been some years since I've had a DNN site up and running. It was before the re-write into C# (my language of choice these days). Recently I was setting up a new personal web site with a new hosting service that supports ASP.NET and I wanted to crank up a DNN site. I first wanted to set it up locally on my Win 10 development system, using IIS Express.

Upon investigating, I discoved there was a utility that had been created (nvquickSITE) that was not available the last time I installed DNN. The headline banner was: "You'll never believe how quick and easy it is for you to install a DNN site now!"

Sounded like a miracle application, I had to try it.

I managed to get to clicking the Next button on the Database Info process and crash!

An error dialog popped up that said: "Set Folder Permission," followed by, "There was a problem setting the folder permissions for folder path C:\DNN\B2IDNN\???? (the whole message ran off the dialog instead of wrapping, so I'm not sure if there was more to the path or not).

I've been a Windows developer for a couple of decades and am comfortable with fixing sharing/security problems on Windows folders. I turned those folders every which way but loose, trying a bunch of different configurations and could not get rid of that error dialog.

I watched some recent YouTube manual installs and read the step-by-step install on dnncommunity.org/How-To/Download-and-Install.

I did notice on the videos and on the docs, no mention of doing anything with folder permissions.

I figured I'm doing something wrong and not sure what to do. I think I could use some assistance from someone more knowledgeable than I...

Veteran Member

Well, IMHO nvQuickSite really is a very nice program. There are no miracles, but this one is close.

I've installed quite a few local sites using it, and most of the problems that I've encountered were ID10T issues. So, it might help to set the logging level to a more detaied level. And, on that Database Info screen, double check the settings. Unfortunately, it's hard to debug without seeing.

You shouldn't run into problems with folder permissions and you shouldn't have to do anything special or outside of the nvQuickSite program.  I suppose that it's possible that they user you are logged in doesn't have permissions to set folder permissions, so make sure you are an admin for the server and that you run nvQuickSite as an administrator.

Did the folder for your website get created?  Take a look at what is there.

You should also post an issue at the nvQuickSite GitHub page and see if they can give you some help and advice.

Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

In addition to Joe: nvQuicksite is nice to set up a test/development environment, but it is not recommended for production site installations (maybe I am wrong, but it was not recommended for that a while ago).

Anyway, setting up DNN is not a really hard task, esp. when you run IIS and SQL Server on the same machine.

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

New Around Here

Thank You guys for your quick and informative responses. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm suspecting not running nvQuickSite in Admin mode could be my problem. Two folders were created in the site folder: Logs and Website. (Both have the right permissions.) Finally, I have a couple of screenshots ready showing the problem, but, the forum doesn't seem to have a mechanism for uploading them.

Your suggestions should keep me busy for awhile and, hearing you speak positively about nvQuickSite is encouraging. Thanks for giving my head a bit of a "steering" in the right direction on that part, too.

New Around Here

With the debugging level of logging turned on and peering into the log file, I discovered a message that is beyond my pay grade to understand:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
            2021-06-15 06:21:01.158 -06:00 [INF] Creating file system directories for B2IDNN.localhost
            2021-06-15 06:21:01.172 -06:00 [ERR] Error occured while attempting to set folder permissions
            System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Some or all identity references could not be translated.
               at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceAccounts, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess)
               at System.Security.Principal.NTAccount.Translate(Type targetType)
               at System.Security.AccessControl.CommonObjectSecurity.ModifyAccess(AccessControlModification modification, AccessRule rule, Boolean& modified)
               at System.Security.AccessControl.ObjectSecurity.ModifyAccessRule(AccessControlModification modification, AccessRule rule, Boolean& modified)
               at nvQuickSite.Controllers.FileSystemController.SetFolderPermission(String accountName, String folderPath)

Looking at the issues for nvQuickSite on GitHub, I discovered this old issue, which didn't help me understand the problem much:

https://github.com/nvisio...QuickSite/issues/163

New Around Here

And, I did create an issue on nvQuickSite GitHub:

https://github.com/nvisio...QuickSite/issues/322

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved