DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Form and List Report Writer

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Is there a report writer module for FnL data that does not require programming skills? I'm looking to place subsets of a master list on various pages.

The subsets would include selected columns. I see I can filter data on other instances of the module, but not display only selected columns. Thank you. 

John  

Veteran Member

Hi John,

There commercial modules like Live Visualizer (Mandeeps) or an entire Low code solution (plant an app) that would allow for this.

If you want to check out open source, maybe DNN Reports ( https://github.com/DNNCom...ity/DNN.Reports/wiki ) is for you.
      Another approach might be to use 2SXC (also open source) but that would require a bit of tech knowledge.
      Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Thank you, Thcho. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the FnL data structure. I tried Live Visualizer, but it only reads SQL tables and Live Forms data, which I think is also SQL. . 

I'll explore at your other two references. 

John 

Veteran Member

The FnL data structure is a typical structure for the very dynamic creation of smaller lists.

Let's start: The table UserDefinedFields (the name of the table is because of the former name of the module, "User Defined Tables") contains all the column definitions. The ModuleID is the one you have to filter to get the definitions of a specific module.

UserDefinedRows contains a RowId and the ModuleID where the row belongs to.

UserDefinedData contains the FieldId (from the UserDefinedFields table), the RowID (from the UserDefinedRows table) and the value that is "cell" (this column of this row).

UserDefinedFieldSettings contains some settings of the column, eg. if it should be displayed as link or if a link should be opened i a new window etc. For queries to get data in a report this is normally not so interesting.

I give you an example. I made a list of restaurants, containing the name, address, phone number and type of the restaurant (and more, but I just want these four columns in the report).

First, find the ModuleID of the module instance (let's say it's 2185), and then the definition of the fields, e.g.

SELECT *
          FROM dbo.UserDefinedFields
          WHERE FieldTitle IN ('Restaurant', 'Address', 'Phone', 'Type') AND ModuleID=2185

Remember the UserDefinedFieldId of each resulting row (let's say they are 350 for the restaurant's name, 353 for the address, 354 for the phone and 360 for the type). Now we query the rows joined to these fields, and you are done:

SELECT
             [Restaurant].FieldValue AS [Restaurant],
             [Address].FieldValue AS [Address],
             [Phone].FieldValue AS [Phone],
             [Type].FieldValue AS [Type]
          FROM dbo.UserDefinedRows
             LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.UserDefinedData AS [Restaurant]
              ON dbo.UserDefinedRows.UserDefinedRowId = [Restaurant].UserDefinedRowId
               AND [Restaurant].UserDefinedFieldId=350
             LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.UserDefinedData AS [Address]
              ON dbo.UserDefinedRows.UserDefinedRowId = [Address].UserDefinedRowId
               AND [Address].UserDefinedFieldId=353
             LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.UserDefinedData AS [Phone]
              ON dbo.UserDefinedRows.UserDefinedRowId = [Phone].UserDefinedRowId
               AND [Phone].UserDefinedFieldId=354
             LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.UserDefinedData AS [Type]
              ON dbo.UserDefinedRows.UserDefinedRowId = [Type].UserDefinedRowId
               AND [Type].UserDefinedFieldId=360
          WHERE
             dbo.UserDefinedRows.ModuleId = 2185

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

New Around Here

That's wonderful, Michael. Thanks so much!

John 

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved