DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Core Modules

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I upgraded to 9.11.1 when i look at the extensions list there are a number of upgraded modules listed eg. I have events module 7.07 it says 8.03 is available .

When i click the link it gos back to the upgrade page on the dnn site where I can download DNN but no modules available on that page.

I found a link in the old forums but it only has two year old modules, the same versions I already have installed.

It is quite frustrating in such a good system to see that updated modules are  available but not reachable, I have thirty tabs open but no luck Finding the core modules.

Surely the links in the extensions module should point to either a core repository or to the individual modlue upgrade pages....

Regards

Wayne

Veteran Member

Wayne,

you find the old core modules on GitHub, normally the Url looks like https://github.com/dnncommunity/dnn.events. Instead of "events" at the end you can use "documents", "survey", "faq" etc.

The Events and FAQ modules (and maybe others as well) are still dependent on the Telerik components, I would not recommend using them. Either you wait until someone updates these modules (a bounty is helpful :-)), or you look for alternatives. There are free generic modules around like OpenContent or 2scx - with a bit of HTML, CSS and JS knowledge you should be able to implement the functionality you need.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Another thing: many of these modules use the UrlControl and/or the UrlTrackingControl. 9.11.0 had a problem with the UrlControl, "normal" users could not upload files even if they had the correct permissions. In 9.11.1 this was fixed, but the UrlTracking control produced a stack overflow that shut down the application pool in the end. This seems to be fixed in 9.11.2, but there is only a Release Candidate available atm.

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

Growing Member

Posted By lirving on 3/24/2023 3:03 PM

I upgraded to 9.11.1 when i look at the extensions list there are a number of upgraded modules listed eg. I have events module 7.07 it says 8.03 is available .

When i click the link it gos back to the upgrade page on the dnn site where I can download DNN but no modules available on that page.

I found a link in the old forums but it only has two year old modules, the same versions I already have installed.

It is quite frustrating in such a good system to see that updated modules are  available but not reachable, I have thirty tabs open but no luck Finding the core modules.

I think you are seeing these "fake" versions due to DNN telemetry picking up "news" of a version that really doesn't exist or hasn't been released. DNN has a "phone home" mechanism that sends versions for the platform and installed modules back to dnnplatform.io with the intention of collecting and corellating version information across the platform's ecosystem and sharing that information with the vendors and community. What sometimes happens though, is that a module developer might have DNN installed and be working on a module's repository (or fork of a module repository) and bumps the version in their internal build/version. But since they don't know about or perhaps forget to turn off this feature, their "update" makes its way into the telemetry, and gets pushed out to the ecosystem as a potential new version.

How do I know this? Because I've caused false updates to appear as available because I test the community forums builds on a dev version of my production site, and I forget to remove the option. :)

So yes it is frustrating. When you see a new module listed, visit the vendor or, if it's a community-built module, https://github.com/DNNCommunity. 

Veteran Member

Thanks John, I was not aware of this mechanism (or better of the fact that forks or development branches could cause this). After recognizing that something is wrong there, I personally never cared about this version information anymore, as in most cases it seemed to be wrong...

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect
            You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved