DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Webp compression

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

My DNN site is .09.10.02. I added the webp to the valid file format line. 

https://doc.dnngo.com/min...-in-the-minis-theme/

If I replace a jpg with a webp, I will get this message: File type webp is invalid in this context. Valid file types include: bmp,gif,ico,jpeg,jpg,jpe,png,svg. 

When I worked with the PHP Laravel site, I changed several files to make it work. I am a newbie. Please direct me to which files I should change.

Growing Member

I think you need to do both.
      1, Add the mime type in the config file
      2. Add the webp extension to the allowable types.

On that note: I don't understand the Laravel / php context as that DNN is running on Microsoft technology.

New Around Here

Thank you for your answer. I will add the mime type in the config file. That's it?

Veteran Member

Posted By Sam Mah on 9/15/2023 6:21 AM
          Thank you for your answer. I will add the mime type in the config file. That's it?

If you want to also be able to upload and see the webp files in DNN, you'll also want to update the Allowable Files setting.  

Go to the persona bar while logged in as a superuser. Then go to Settings > Security > More > More Security Settings. 

Add the webp file extension to the Allowable File Types field, and save the change.  

New Around Here

Posted By Will Strohl on 9/15/2023 6:49 PM
            Posted By Sam Mah on 9/15/2023 6:21 AM

If you want to also be able to upload and see the webp files in DNN, you'll also want to update the Allowable Files setting.  

Go to the persona bar while logged in as a superuser. Then go to Settings > Security > More > More Security Settings. 

Add the webp file extension to the Allowable File Types field, and save the change.  

I added the WebP to those locations. I have no problem uploading the WebP in the image directory, but the CK editor gives me an issue that says this file is invalid. I don't know which setting in the CK editor I troubleshooted.

Veteran Member

Ah, well... in that case, I'd recommend not using the HTML module for anything beyond simple text.  Everything else that requires more should use any of the structured content solutions out there so that you can perform nearly any content action without worrying about whether or not a third-party HTML editor is going to allow it.  It will be a much better investment of time.  :) 

(Especially since the two most popular options are free and open-source.)  ;) 

New Around Here

Yeah, it has been frustrated for me. The WebP came out so many years ago, and those third party things don't keep with the trend.

Advanced Member

If you decide to try out 2sxc for structured content, there are some great features built-in for modern image handling. See https://2sxc.org/dnn-tuto...azor/tut/img-picture for more information.

David Poindexter

Creator:

Veteran Member

Posted By Sam Mah on 9/18/2023 2:03 PM
                    Yeah, it has been frustrated for me. The WebP came out so many years ago, and those third party things don't keep with the trend.

Agreed... But with any open-source solution out there, updates depend on either passionate volunteers to implement updates, and/or sponsors (companies) to sponsor new work by folks that are less passionate about the pending updates that need to be made. 

It's a good idea for any company running any open-source software to either have a company on retainer for these kinds of things, or to sponsor a company whenever they need something implemented.  

In short, if your company depends on an open-source app, support it and it will support you.  💪🏽😎🤙🏽 

Advanced Member

Posted By Will Strohl on 2/23/2024 12:20 PM
                      Posted By Sam Mah on 9/18/2023 2:03 PM

Agreed... But with any open-source solution out there, updates depend on either passionate volunteers to implement updates, and/or sponsors (companies) to sponsor new work by folks that are less passionate about the pending updates that need to be made. 

It's a good idea for any company running any open-source software to either have a company on retainer for these kinds of things, or to sponsor a company whenever they need something implemented.  

In short, if your company depends on an open-source app, support it and it will support you.  💪🏽😎🤙🏽 

Instead of a "thumbs up", I'd really, really, really, like to "LOVE" this comment.  It is so true Will.  Thank you for making this point.

#opensource #ftw

David Poindexter

Creator:

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved