DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Azure Install Woes

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

G'day everyone, I am relatively new to DNN dev.

I've had a rather fustrating time attempting to migrate DNN 9.4.4 to an Azure App service.
    I installed successfully on my development machine, applied skins and modules from EasyDNN, created content and went to deploy.

Created the App service, uploaded the DNN site and created Azure database without issue.  
    Configure domain & SSL certs, -- success

Then:
    - script the database.... error
    - bacpac the database with install via SSMS - error
    - migrate via the Database Migration Assistant - errors... but completes.

Configure sql server firewall to allow azure traffic - success

Browse to the site - internal 500 error, when I check the logs - database connectivitiy issue. I can access the database via my local dev site without issue but not the azure app serivce instance. I add the connection string to the app service config for ships and giggles... somewhere along the way of bashing away on my keyboard the error changes... now its a resource not found....

I'm pretty close to walking away, I have never had this much issue deploying a website.

The doco is all over the shop, I really need a hand here.

Cheers

New Around Here

Current Error: The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Detailed Error Information:

Module    UrlRewrite
      Notification    BeginRequest
      Handler    ExtensionlessUrl-Integrated-4.0
      Error Code    0x00000000
      Requested URL    http://allectum:80/
      Physical Path    D:\home\site\wwwroot
      Logon Method    Anonymous
      Logon User    Anonymous

2020-03-16 13:59:51.974+00:00 [RD0003FF6FE88F][D:9][T:9][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.BasePortalException - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
         at DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.BasePortalException.InitializePrivateVariables()
      2020-03-16 13:59:51.994+00:00 [RD0003FF6FE88F][D:9][T:9][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
         at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.Config.GetDefaultProvider(String type)
         at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.Config.GetConnectionString()
         at DotNetNuke.Data.DataProvider.get_ConnectionString()
         at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider.ExecuteReader(String procedureName, Object[] commandParameters)
         at DotNetNuke.Data.DataProvider.GetLogTypeInfo()
         at DotNetNuke.Services.Log.EventLog.DBLoggingProvider.<>c.b__25_0(CacheItemArgs c)
         at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.DataCache.GetCachedDataFromRuntimeCache(CacheItemArgs cacheItemArgs, CacheItemExpiredCallback cacheItemExpired)
      2020-03-16 13:59:52.005+00:00 [RD0003FF6FE88F][D:9][T:9][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.BasePortalException - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
         at DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.BasePortalException.InitializePrivateVariables()
      2020-03-16 13:59:52.037+00:00 [RD0003FF6FE88F][D:9][T:9][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
         at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider.ExecuteReader(String procedureName, Object[] commandParameters)
         at DotNetNuke.Services.Log.EventLog.DBLoggingProvider.<>c.b__25_0(CacheItemArgs c)
         at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.DataCache.GetCachedDataFromRuntimeCache(CacheItemArgs cacheItemArgs, CacheItemExpiredCallback cacheItemExpired)
      2020-03-16 13:59:52.054+00:00 [RD0003FF6FE88F][D:9][T:9][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.BasePortalException - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      2020-03-16 13:59:52.068+00:00 [RD0003FF6FE88F][D:9][T:9][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

New Around Here

Peeps would love someone in the community letting me know what direction to look, I've been through all the logs, setup request tracing..... I cant get a hint of what is wrong?

PS: If I connect to my production DB from my local dev environment the site runs without issue, I have deleted and uploaded the files a few times, I have no idea if there are specific file permissions... I cant find any doco on this.

Please help.

New Around Here

So the first " internal 500 error" was due to the SQL Azure database not being accessible to the App Service, changed the firewall on the DB.

The second error "resource not found", this appears to be an application configuration error and nothing to do with Azure.
          I deleted everything, installed DNN through the public website, the first time it installed it crashed on the DB install, when I attempted to run it again it gave the same error.

deleted everything again, reinstalled, seemed to fail at the DB install again (despite watching the objects install in SSMS). Luckily I had to duck out and the install actually completed (with errors). I've logged in and it seems to be working but now requires me to manually add skins, modules/extensions and content.

For a .Net website I would STRONGLY recommend a relevant Azure install guide for a fresh install as well as migration from dev to prod.

Errors:

Keywords

Application
          RD0003FFC31098

An unhandled exception has occurred.
          3/23/2020 3:49:00 AM
          3/23/2020 3:49:00 AM
          5c59f79ef00b47fa804afca76792c32c
          /LM/W3SVC/1820843158/ROOT-8-132294089237456648
          Full
          /
          D:\home\site\wwwroot\
          RD0003FFC31098

w3wp.exe
          IIS APPPOOL\allectum
          NullReferenceException

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
          at DotNetNuke.HttpModules.OutputCaching.OutputCacheModule.OnResolveRequestCache(Object sender, EventArgs e)
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.<>c__DisplayClass285_0.b__0()
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.StepInvoker.Invoke(Action executionStep)
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.StepInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.b__0()
          at Microsoft.AspNet.TelemetryCorrelation.TelemetryCorrelationHttpModule.OnExecuteRequestStep(HttpContextBase context, Action step)
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.<>c__DisplayClass284_0.b__0(Action nextStepAction)
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step)
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

http://www.allectum.com.au/default.aspx
          /default.aspx
          ::1

False

IIS APPPOOL\allectum
          IIS APPPOOL\allectum
          False

at DotNetNuke.HttpModules.OutputCaching.OutputCacheModule.OnResolveRequestCache(Object sender, EventArgs e)
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.<>c__DisplayClass285_0.b__0()
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.StepInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.b__0()
          at Microsoft.AspNet.TelemetryCorrelation.TelemetryCorrelationHttpModule.OnExecuteRequestStep(HttpContextBase context, Action step)
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.<>c__DisplayClass284_0.b__0(Action nextStepAction)
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step)
          at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

I have also been disappointed with this community, is DNN being supported or are people moving to a new platform?

Hopefully my experience helps someone else.

New Around Here

I've been trying to install vanilla DNN on Azure 'App Service' for several days. I've get very similar problems to yours. Finally I did that, below are few my thoughts.
            1. At the beginning of 2019, when I was trying install DNN on Azure, I hadn't any issues with that.
            2. I tried various DNN versions: v9.5, v9.3 and finally v9.0.2 with success. Don't know if the version number matters.
            3. DNN database is on Azure too. I turned off all the fancy features for it.
            4. Database and 'App Service' are in the same 'Resource group' and 'Location'. Again don't know if it matters.
            5. For the lowest pricing tier it will not work. For the installation process I recommend set 'Standard', then it can be downgraded to 'Basic'.
            6. The 'App Service' has an option to dynamically inject 'Connection String' to the web.config file. For a security reasons it's a good option, but for the installation process I recommend quit that. Possible it's causing 'System.NullReferenceException' for method 'DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.Config.GetConnectionString(String name)'. Later I turned on dynamic 'Connection String' injection and it works.

These are only my assumptions maybe it will help someone else.

New Around Here

Hi Barry thank you for your help.

After quite some effort I finally worked through a number of issues myself, I did eventually install version 9.5 successfully and then ran into a number of issues upgrading my dev environments from 9.4.

For others:
              I didn't change anything in the Azure DB
              I added the connection string to the webconfig
              I did make a mistake of not changing the site aliases when trying to migrate my dev site content to prod via DB migration scripts. I ended up doing a vanilla install on azure and then using the built in content export/import feature.
              I also made the mistake of trying ot make AU the default language and completely ruined the site, DNN allows you to change settings which place the site in an inconsistent/error type state.

At the end of the day I dont know this software well enough to debug it when it doesnt follow the expected path. I have learnt a lot about it over the last few months and am happily developing some modules for it.

wiht the lack of community support shown here I am curious if it will be replaced with another OpenSource CMS at some point. I grabbed it because I was time poor and I was aware of it. I'm suspect I would have done a little more research into the available options first.

Veteran Member

Posted By NathanH on 28 Apr 2020 08:44 AM
                wiht the lack of community support shown here I am curious if it will be replaced with another OpenSource CMS at some point. I grabbed it because I was time poor and I was aware of it. I'm suspect I would have done a little more research into the available options first.

Hello Nathan!  

I came across your post today because it partially matched some terms I was searching for.  

Anyhow, I wanted to just let you know that DNN has rarely had times where the outlook looked so great for us.  We have a leadership team, thriving community of volunteers, user groups, conferences, and a marketplace.  All of these are quite busy.  And, let's not forget not only the frequency of releases, but also the number of updates and contributors for each.  These numbers have never been higer, I think.  

As one of the leaders of this community, I want to welcome you with open arms.  I also want to let you know that you're in the right place.  Sometimes, a forum post just has bad timing.  This is why some folks opt to subscribe to a support plan with one of the many ecosystem vendors.  It all depends on your resources and urgency.  

Thanks again for documenting your challenges here.  Have a great day!  :)  

Growing Member

I second Will's statements and well wishes for your project after the fact!
                  I encountered this topic because it matched on similar search issues... my finding is that the Azure running as an App Service can work and works really well for memory, performance, etc, but can introduce some unusual elements that are outside of the normal standard DNN running environment as compared to a traditional IIS instance.

I think that as the host in that situation, you have to really know what you're doing for permissions settings, especially with the application pool equivalent so that it has proper permissions for running the site and performing actions such as installs, module installs and upgrades.

Regarding the community support, it's huge and present and active, but less so in Forums these days as compared to User Groups, Slack/Discord and community connections. Posting here is still a good idea, especially for visibility and history records (and search!!). But check out the other Community connections to find us and get timely help from the DNN Community : )
                  You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved