DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Containerizing DNN with Docker

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hello DNN Community,

I'm currently exploring the possibility of containerizing a DotNetNuke (DNN) instance using Docker, and I've encountered some challenges that I hope to get some advice on. My goal is to deploy DNN within a Docker container to streamline development and deployment processes. However, integrating IIS within the container has proven to be a significant hurdle.

I have attempted two different approaches to containerize DNN. The first approach was a basic setup that involved running DNN with IIS inside the container. Unfortunately, this resulted in issues with starting the IIS service and configuring it correctly within the container environment.

Motivated by this, I will explore a more advanced approach based on a repository I found on GitHub https://github.com/bdukes/DNN-on-Docker, which includes PowerShell scripts to automate DNN and SQL Server configurations in Docker. This method also involves using Docker Compose to manage the application and database services.

Challenges Encountered:

• Difficulties with the IIS service starting up correctly within the Docker container.
    • Uncertainties about managing IIS configurations and settings from within the containerized environment, especially since the administrative interface is not available.

Questions:

1. Has anyone in the community successfully containerized DNN with Docker, and could you share your insights or resources that helped you achieve this?
    2. How do you manage IIS within a Docker container, particularly regarding configurations typically handled through the IIS administrative interface?
    3. Are there recommended practices or documentation available for containerizing DNN, especially concerning IIS integration and database connectivity?

I am also curious if there are articles, documentation, or community posts that discuss containerizing DNN and managing IIS within a Docker environment.

Any guidance, links to resources, or advice based on your experiences would be greatly appreciated as I navigate these challenges.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Best regards, 
    Antonio Gonnella

Advanced Member

I do not have any experience with running DNN within a Docker container, but I have heard of several people over the years attempting this.  Hopefully, someone with more in-depth knowledge will chime in and help.

David Poindexter

Creator:

Advanced Member

I haven't done anything serious with containerizing DNN since I looked into it in 2018, with the results in that GitHub repo you linked to. I was mainly focusing on a development experience, and had issues with IIS picking up changes to files on the mounted volume. There's an issue in that GitHub repo indicating that folks in 2019 had more luck than I did.

Regarding IIS configuration, I would use the WebAdministration PowerShell module to adjust configuration. New-Website and New-WebBinding will get the main pieces done for you, and Set-WebConfiguration and Set-WebConfigurationProperty can do the more intensive pieces.

Hope it helps!

DNN partner specializing in custom, enterprise DNN development https://engagesoftware.com/showcase
        You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
        2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
        3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
        4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
        5. No Flaming or Trolling.
        6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
        7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
        8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved