DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

New Categories "Troubleshooting Tips" and "Ideas"

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

I would like to be able to share some of the issues I have overcomb.  A lot of topics based on helping with questions but I would like to share my support fixes so others that come up with them can possibly share theirs as well.  Everyone has a different way of explaining and different details come to light sometimes that help troubleshoot things even more if we have a way to communicate these things clearly.

"Troubleshooting Tips"  a category for sharing things you learned about something that was bugging a sytem.  Super common helpful ones should get pinned to the top so we dont post ones that get posted a lot but maybe add some thought to it.  I am not really a blogger but if I can share something i felt might be helpful on this forum I would.  I believe there needs to be a place for us to collect these posts for a support knowledgebase threads.  The threads might point to blog posts that helped someone overcome an issue and they can share how they managed to fix something.

Second is an Ideas category where we can post ideas like this for our community and website.  Also a thread at the top sticky can point people to the github project to post feature requests and bug reports.

For a troublesooting tip example, I had an issue with moving to a new server and the theme and persona bar was all bugged out could not do much all icons gone... I found that in my web config i had woff and woff2 static mime types declared in the web.config which are already declared in the new IIS server.  I removed them from the web.config and my site worked great.  I was checking so many things before coming accross that would of saved me a few hours time at least if I had some crafty troubleshooting tips that explained this issue.  I found the solution on an IIS forum I believe that lead me to this being the issue and correcting it.

Maybe it does not need to be called Troubleshooting Tips but it would still be nice to be able to include things to help keep the database tuned up and so on.  Some really thoughtful, re-edited tips to help manage DNN environments.  Everything seems scattered and burried in search.  It would be nice to just to scroll this category... without the search for interesting posts.  So consolidating all of those great posts into this new area and let the owner be able to edit the original post to fine tune it if they like to include new findings or solutions related to an issue.

Veteran Member

Cody,

I think this is really a great idea and could result in a helpful knowledge base - I would go and contact the DNN Docs team, maybe this is the right place for such a thing.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Another idea could be to use https://azing.org/ by Daniel Mettler.

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

Growing Member

I like this. The first thing I'd ask is do you have a blog or personal site? I've posted such tips on mine before. I know they're not all together in one place, but Google is remarkably good at finding them 🙂

Growing Member

Another option is to post your Question and Answer on Stackoverflow, making sure you tag it dotnetnuke.

You could mark the answer as a community wiki if you want others to be able to edit it.

(maybe someone with a score of 5 or more on questions tagged dotnetnuke could go and suggest dnncms as a synonym?)

Veteran Member

It would, IMHO, be best to contribute to a section of the Documentation project ...
              Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

www.dnndocs.com can use help, but really in my opinion under resources there needs to be "Tutorials" along with "Knowledgebase" and maybe a GitHub Project that allows the submission process to be accepted for inclusion into a knowledge base or tutorial search directory.

Since GitHub is how you get things on dnn docs as a PR there can be a dnntutorials.com or in dnndocs can be links to great tutorial videos that get accepted but organized or tagged by what versions they support.  They can also just be submitted in a GitHub tutorials and knowledgebase projects and when a solution or PR is accepted it can then be added to the dnn website as a searchable tutorials or knowledge base articles.

I know we have Feature Request in GitHub for ideas.  So learning and troubleshooting I believe should be the focus of something that can be improved upon I am thinking now.

Growing Member

I found https://dnndocs.com/conte...-overview/index.html

You can submit helpful troubleshooting tips here with a pretty good collection started.  Thank you.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved