DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Override Default Page

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Good Day Everyone,

I am fairly new to DNN, I have normaly lurked here in the community, learning from older questions and I have so far been able to do maintenance, the occasional change and keep our existing DNN site running, but I have a requirement to make changes to a screen that I have not created and I dont know where to start.

I need to modify the contents of the "Password Expiry Reminder Screen". After Login, if your password will expire in x days, you are shown a reminder screen. I am assuming this is a built in screen, and need to overrride it somewhere with my own custom screen, but how? I have searched high and low, i can find the wording from the screen in resource files but cant find the page code itself.

Please could someone point me in the right direction.  I have added an image of the screen below.

For context we are on DNN v09.02.02, and have a custom Authentication Provider (something in here I can maybe override?).

Password Expiry Reminder Screen

Advanced Member

I would highly recommend upgrading to the latest version of DNN 9. Many vulnerabilities have been addressed over the years and it is critical considering the old version you are on.

That said, this is the control (https://github.com/dnnsof...urity/Password.ascx) you are looking for if you are using DNN's out-of-the-box features. I wouldn't recommend modifying any This is a DNN core code, because doing so is hard to manage with future upgrades, etc.

You mentioned you have a custom Auth Provider, so chances are there are already custom controls there for this user experience. So the above may or may not apply depending on how the developer(s) developed the custom auth flow.

David Poindexter

Creator:

Veteran Member

Posted By David Poindexter on 3/8/2024 8:15 AM
        I would highly recommend upgrading to the latest version of DNN 9. Many vulnerabilities have been addressed over the years and it is critical considering the old version you are on.

That said, this is the control (https://github.com/dnnsof...urity/Password.ascx) you are looking for if you are using DNN's out-of-the-box features. I wouldn't recommend modifying any This is a DNN core code, because doing so is hard to manage with future upgrades, etc.

You mentioned you have a custom Auth Provider, so chances are there are already custom controls there for this user experience. So the above may or may not apply depending on how the developer(s) developed the custom auth flow.

What he said 👆🏽

Also, after upgrading (this is a must if you care about the site and server(s) it has access to), if the newer view isn't meeting your needs, you still have options. 

The way I'd approach it is to review the source code that David referenced, and then build your own module reusing the source code. (Don't change the core of DNN - especially in areas like this. It's a horrible idea that may get you permanently stuck on an older version of DNN, and/or getting hacked.)

It's worth noting, though, that this may end up being a slippery slope.  Once you begin offering different views to your end-users like this one, you'll likely end up having to build more and more of the alternative built-in views. 😉 

Advanced Member

Agreed
          You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved