DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Migrate to Windows Server 2019 and SQL 2019

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

New Around Here

Thanks for the help, Michael.

I know that it did not exist in IIS 7.5 unless installed as an add on extension. My point was that it work fine before - without the extension - so it should work fine now as well, as the feature is not enabled in the new server.

The problem is not to keep the app alive - it's a high-traffic site. But when updating DLL's, changing the web.config etc. the app pool recycles. That should not be a problem, but only "pause the site" for 20-30 seconds. But now it causes hard 503-errors for several minutes before coming back online. Event log is flooded with SQL Server timeout errors. It doesn't make sense to me. But I'm investigating that right now.

However, I'm sure it's not related to the topic question of whether DNN can run on Windows Server 2019.

Advanced Member

I have upgrade my site to DNN 9.6.1 and the next step is to migrate to a new VM with Windows Server 2019 + SQL 2019 on the same VM. There is really no reason to run the SQL on a separate VM

Mariette Knap
      Microsoft MVP Alumni

Advanced Member

Posted By allane on 13 May 2020 02:37 PM

The problem is not to keep the app alive - it's a high-traffic site. But when updating DLL's, changing the web.config etc. the app pool recycles. That should not be a problem, but only "pause the site" for 20-30 seconds. But now it causes hard 503-errors for several minutes before coming back online. Event log is flooded with SQL Server timeout errors. It doesn't make sense to me. But I'm investigating that right now.

The reason for the issues you have are in the connection between your server that runs IIS and the server that runs SQL. How is that organized? What Hypervisor do you use?

Mariette Knap
        Microsoft MVP Alumni

New Around Here

I tend to agree (DB on the webserver). When implementing a brand new server, I followed "best practices" and split the web- and db-server. In theory it's a good idea, but in reality it introduces all sorts of new complexities, including security and authentication issues.

It sounds like you have an idea about my issue - I would really appreciate input on which direction to look. Sorry for "hijacking" you forum topic :)

My setup is organized like this:
          - Windows Server 2019 with Hyper-V role (as host)
          - Webserver and DB on two separate Hyper-V virtual machines
          - No DHCP or domain server. Both VMs has hardcoded IP-addresses
          - SQL Server is set to allow remote connections with IP-restrictions in Windows Firewall allowing only the webserver to connect
          - SQL Server is configured to allow "unlimited concurrent connections".

The errors occuring in the DNN event log is:

System.InvalidOperationException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached

The error is at: System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection

Veteran Member

Hi,

how did you implement the user that accesses SQL Server? Is it the App Pool, or are you using an SQL Login?

Are the two servers (SQL and Web) members of a (Windows) domain?

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect

New Around Here

When splitting the servers I switched to SQL Server connection mode with a SQL user and the username + password written in the connection string.

The Hyper-V host and virtual servers are not members of a domain. The physical server is located at a external server center and is only used for hosting websites.

Veteran Member

OK, that should work... I have this configuration in a DMZ with three webservers (using different systems, one of them is hosting some DNN sites) and one SQL Server. No problem so far.

What I have done was not using the IP Address of the SQL Server, but the real name of the server. To resolve that I added an entry in the hosts file (Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts). I can't imagine that this solves the problem, but maybe it's worth a try.

Happy DNNing!
                Michael

Michael Tobisch
                DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                DNN Connect
                You are not authorized to post a reply.
                Page 2 of 2 << < 12

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved