DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Moving Localized Site from DNN 9.1.1 to 9.5

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I exported a DNN 9.1.1 site localized in 3 languages, and imported in into a new DNN 9.5 installation with the same language packs, modules and theme installed prior to import. However, the site comes up with ALL pages in ALL 3 languages listed in the menu as separate pages -- not as localized copies of English pages.  Any attempts to "localize content" produce a whole new set of pages to be translated from scratch. What am I doing wrong???

Veteran Member

Well, exporting - importing sites is not the way to upgrade.
      The proper way is to upload the upgrade package and install that.
      The steps are by default:
      - create backup
      - remove obsolete modules / themes
      - update modules to the latest version
      - test if everything still works
      - backup again
      - upgrade
      - test

Now, as you are on 9.1, it is not adviced to jump to 9.5
      First stepping stone is 9.3.2
      Two things about this one:
      - there is a Newtonsoft issue if you have any DNNSharp modules. If you do, they have a Newtonsoft patch that you have to install prior to the upgrade
      - 9.2 deprecated about 300 api's. If you have custom modules, you should test them really wel.

Cheers
      Tycho
      Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Posted By Nafigator on 22 Apr 2020 12:51 PM

I exported a DNN 9.1.1 site localized in 3 languages, and imported in into a new DNN 9.5 installation with the same language packs, modules and theme installed prior to import. However, the site comes up with ALL pages in ALL 3 languages listed in the menu as separate pages -- not as localized copies of English pages.  Any attempts to "localize content" produce a whole new set of pages to be translated from scratch. What am I doing wrong???

I have tried that once and it was a struggle. (in DNN 8)
        IIRC , you must have all languages activated  on the target portal and also make sure you have the same one as the default portal and language and I think I had to run some sql after that to correct this.
        But it can also be that there are bugs in DNN 9 that prevent you from succesfully doing this.
        I don't think this has been tested a lot THB. (and thus there might be bugs when you do this with an ML site)

New Around Here

Thanks, Tycho - but I think you're missing the point... which is to MOVE the site from 9.1.1 installation to 9.5 without re-doing all the translated pages. I have all the (latest) modules and language packs installed on 9.5 - and everything works just fine... EXCEPT all the non-English translated pages are being imported along with English pages on the same level/language.  So - instead of 10 English pages, I have another 10 in Spanish and another 10 in Russian -- all listed in the menu! ...and when I try to turn on localization, it creates 10+10 new copies of English pages that need to be translated from scratch.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved