DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Emails Not Sending

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I am using Sharp Scheduler to automate sending out emails to clients. It is a new site so the volume of emails is normally pretty low - less than 15 a day. But once we are ramped up we could be sending hundreds, if not thousands. Initially I was using a Gmail SMTP Out server and all seemed to work fine with no failures. We recently moved to WinHost and changed the SMTP Out to their MX server and it sends fine most of the time. Our email volume has picked up some but still not that heavy. WinHost has 1000/hr and 5000/day. So that doesn't seem to be the issue. Now every week we have failures to send with these type of messages indicating that we have exceeded some 25 limit relay quota. I have no idea where this limit is coming from and WinHost doesn't either. The error message is below. When this happens we cannot send any emails for 24 hours and I don't receive the Sharp Scheduler On Failure email to alert me. The email address we are sending from in the error below was created on our WinHost SmarterMail account. 

Error Message:\nCould not send email from [email protected] to [email protected]
    \r\nExceeded storage allocation. The server response was: Ows2kLcojj4GnOws2kwDts 
    Message would take you over your relay quota of 25 Current quota used: 24

Veteran Member

That sure seems like it's the SMTP server ... and the message refers to "server response" and "relay quota." Additionally, you say that the problem started when you switched SMTP servers.

Is there something function as a relay between DNN and the SMPT server?

Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

I think people who operate SMTP servers seem to use the word relay, to mean sending email with a from address other than the one that belongs to the account.

Maybe there is a limit of 25/day on that function.
        Thanks,
        Richard
        www.dynamisys.co.uk

New Around Here

After further investigation I am seeing that what is in my HostSettings table in the database for SMTP does not match what I have in the user interface for Servers / SMTP. Does this UI feed into the HostSettings table? I updated to a new SMTP server and that is what is displayed Server Setting SMTP. I totally deleted the email account for the old SMTP server and the error persisted, which led us to look in the database. I have been using DNN since version 1 and I seem to recall there were Site Settings and Host Settings, but that was refactored into Site Settings and Servers I guess? See images. UPDATE I just looked in PortalSettings table and this is the correct new SMTP server informaton. So how are the SMTP settings updated in the HostSettings table? Is there not a UI for that? and what controls whether it is using the HostSettings SMTP or the PortalSettings SMTP info? 

HostSettings

PortalSettings

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved