DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Error 503 upon finishing fresh DNN install

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

New Around Here

Team,

FYI, and to keep you updated with the latest news.

The error 503 kept popping up with every new installation and permissions check I did and, believe me, I've tried almost everything, browsing the web and following every recommended step.

The solution I've found:
    - Starting from scratch with Windows Server 2012 R2 (this is what my provider brings as Cloud Server Image)
    - The image includes IIS 8 (all features) installed.
    - Installing SQL Server Express 2012 (SP3), SSMS 2012. (https://www.microsoft.com...tails.aspx?id=50003)

...and then:

- nvQuickSite, with the following settings:
      1. DNN 8.0.4 (since DNN > v9.x kept failing)
      2. a fresh folder called aSites under C:\
      3. Data base connection settings: Named Server (taken from SSMS), new DB name (to be created by nvQuickSite), Windows Authentication.

After that, DNN was successfully installed and could be browsed inside the host server.
    Then I added a binding to the site on IIS for a domain already registered and pointed on the DNS Servers of my provider to the IP of the host.

And that's it. It is working now. 

A final thought: I don't know what makes DNN v9.x crash IIS service, but it does, under Windows Server 2012 R2. All .NET frameworks were installed correctly.

I want to thank you very much Michael and Joe for your prompt help :)

Veteran Member

Alejandro,

good to hear, but as I mentioned before, nvQuickSite is not recommended for production environments. There must have been something else, I never had any problems installing any 8.x version on Win 2k12r2 (neither fresh install nor upgrade).

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Did you ever answer the question about the version of .Net framework that is being used?

Have you tried to install DNN 9.x on something that is not one of the preset cloud servers?

What happens if you try to upgrade one of the 8.0.4 installations to DNN 9?
        Joe Craig
        DNN MVP
        Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

@Michael, there was indeed something wrong going on whith the defalut preset of the Cloud Server that made the installation fail. It had several packages for DNS, mail handling and some etceteras. I have changed that default to another preset (an almost clean Windows Server 2012 R2 installation).

On that preset DNN v9.x did not work either, and that's the reason I swithed to DNN 8.0.4. And even after that I run into similar issues when trying a clean installation. That's when nvQuickSite came handy, because... it worked and keeps working (crossing my fingers). The only thing I had to do was to add a binding to a registered domain so that it could be visited from the Internet.

I wonder why nvQuickSite would not work under a production environment, as I see it working right now, with access via SQMS to the DB, and everything I needed. For example, I am using Kelly Ford's XModPro on that site without any hassle.

@Joe, yes, thank you, I have triple-checked the .NET frameworks and they were all available in all scenarios. You may see i a previous post of mine that there is also a registry key that points which versions are available on the server

Regarding the posiblity of upgrading to DNN 9.x... I'm not sure I want to do that right now because I am delayed in my project and v8.0.4 meets the requirements properly. 

And yes, I did install DNN 9.6.2 and 9.7.2 several times (locally) mainly on Windows 10 VMs, and they would never give me any trouble. I am blaming my provider's server images. Right now I cannot change my provider, but I certainly would if I could (I have no time left to keep trying scenarios).

Next thing I want to do is find a provider that is not costly (I live in Argentina, where the average salary is USD 300, a disaster). If, in your experience there is a recomendable one, I would appreciate your comments :)

Best regards, and thank you very much, both Michael and Joe!!

Veteran Member

Alejandro,

I did not say that nvQuickSite doesn't work in a production environment - what I said was that it is not recommended.

DNN 8.0.4 is quite old, and has security issues. Therefore upgrading to the latest release (9.7.2 atm) is strongly recommended.

Good luck for finding a reasonable provider.

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect
            You are not authorized to post a reply.
            Page 2 of 2 << < 12

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved