DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Messaging Module

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Veteran Member

Hi all,

I have a very long-living DNN installation (started with 4.9.5), and due to regular updates is now on 9.7.2. I installed the Telerik Identifier Module to prepare for the next step - and found this assembly:

• DotNetNuke.Modules.Messaging.dll

As far as I can see, this belongs to the old Messaging module, which is not in use anymore (it was displaced by a module called "Message Center", but obviously not uninstalled). I cannot uninstall this leftover from the UI, as it is marked as a System Module. It does not appear on sites that started with other DNN versions (from 8.0.4, or another one that started with 5.4.4).

My question now is: Is it safe to run the following query and then uninstall the module?

UPDATE {databaseOwner}{objectQualifier}Packages
    SET IsSystemPackage = 0
    WHERE Name = 'Admin.Messaging'

(Well, to be true, I am sure that this will work and is safe, but I just want to hear some opinions)

Happy DNNing!
    Michael

Michael Tobisch
    DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
    DNN Connect

Growing Member

Hi Michael,

I ran into the same issue. I changed the Package in the database to set IsSystemPackage to 0 so I could uninstall it.

However, this didn't remove the assembly (.dll), so I removed that manually anyway.

Hope this helps...

Veteran Member

Stefan,

yes, this was working (I also had to remove the assembly manually). Same here: https://dnncommunity.org/...t/1480 (without the system flag, but the assembly had to be removed manually).

Thank you!

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

New Around Here

I'm upgrading an instance from 7.4.2 to 9.12.0 for a customer.
          After upgraded to the 9.12.0, I've uninstalled the Messaging module and the process has removed the dll automatically.
          Previously, I also had to modify the system package flag in the database to unlock the uninstall command.
          You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved