DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Localhost install - upgrade fails

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

I have never seen this before.  New machine so I set up IIS and SQL as normal.
    I can install 8.04 but any attempt to upgrade to advised next version fails with an Object cannot be null. 
    An attempt to install 9.8 also fails but much earlier in the install process than the upgrades.  
    At 34% clean and 68% upgrades.
    No logs so que pasa ?
    SQL express 2019
    .Net on my machine says 4.5 but if I attempt to install 4.8 windows says already installed.
    It seems .Net 5 is avail - makes no difference.
    WAH !
    Any insights would be very helpful
    Thanks

Edit: installerlog stops after Dnn.PersonaBar.Extensions_09.08.00_Install.zip

DNN user since v3

Veteran Member

This looks like it's some kind of hosting environment issue, but did you try the suggested upgrade path instead of a direct upgrade?

https://dnndocs.com/conte...rade-path/index.html

New Around Here

Hello Timo
        Thanks for your reply.
        Yes - tried the suggested UG routes. All fail in the same way.
        My environment is simply Win10 Pro - nothing special.
        It might be interesting that the Docs install method which I used would not work with www.dnndev.me - I had to use localhost.
        The only other varable is that I used Edge as the browser.
        Now I am wondering if Ghostery may be the issue blocking something.

Also - when people talk about "unblocking"  DNN files what on earth do they mean?  

DNN user since v3

Veteran Member

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

Veteran Member

I'll assume from your question that you haven't been unblocking upgrade files before extracting them. Do it or you will have a failed upgrade or install, whichever you are doing.
            Joe Craig
            DNN MVP
            Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thank you Michael and Joe for your advice.
              TBH: It is so long since I installed a localhost of dnn I had no idea that blocking was a thing.
              Anyway - an unblocked install zip still fails on the module install section with a "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: type"
              DNN8 installs fine any 9 series fails. See logs in install web page returns nothing.
              Totally stuck on this.
              Wah!
              DNN user since v3

New Around Here

To add a liitle:
                As the fail occurs with modules I am wondering if I remove all but base modules I might then install them manually in an effort to find the culprit?  Now 100% on how to do this.

DNN user since v3

Veteran Member

Yes, if you are really trying to go from 8.0.4 to 9.8.0 in a single step, you really need to go an review the release notes for the intermediate versions. There are a number of breaking changes and places you need to be careful.

See https://dnndocs.com/conte...rade-path/index.html

And, as you read the release notes, you will find that modules need to be upgraded along the way.

I assume that your 8.0.4 is not a clean install.

Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Not trying to go to 9.8 all in one go.  Followed sequence you linked.
                    8.4 was a clean install.  No problem
                    Cannot install 9.8 clean - fails at 34% somewhere in modules.
                    Cannot UG 8.4 insantce either
                    All very strange.
                    .net at 4.7.2 

DNN user since v3

Veteran Member

Given all of the other discussion, I'd guess that all of the issues are the same one.

So, assuming that you want to install DNN 9.8, let's go back to that.

1. Delete all of the files in your website directory.
                      2. Unblock the 9.8 install and copy the files into your website directory.
                      3. Browse to the website and the installer should start up clean.
                      4. Assuming this fails, take a look at the InstallerLogyymmddxxxx.resources file in Portals\_default\Logs. Are there errors, if so , what are they.

I assume (from the title of this thread() that this is a not for production installation. If so, can you try to do the install using nvQuickSite? That might provide some other clues.
                      Joe Craig
                      DNN MVP
                      Patapsco Research Group
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved