DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Cannot Edit Any Pages On Site using DNN 8

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Hello DNN Community.  For some reason, we are currently unable to edit any pages on our DNN site that is using DNN version 08.00.04.  I suspect something with the .NET framework is up.  Maybe it was updated or something.  I also tried to upgrade it to one version above (9.0) and when I start the upgrade process, it just sits there endlessly.  Any help would be immensely appreciated.  Thank you!

Veteran Member

Any details you can supply will help in trying to troubleshoot this issue.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thank you for your reply, Joe.  So, basically, when an administrator or host account logs in, then clicks on the "Edit This Page" button or even the "Stay in Edit Mode" option, nothing happens.  This happens on any page within the site that should be editable.  It just sits there and does nothing when you are clicking on the button.  However, when I go to the Admin menu and change something under Site Settings, no problems there.  This is only when trying to edit a page.  Is there some logfile I could check to see what's going on?  Thank you!

Veteran Member

Start by looking at the browser's Console window. Changes are you are going to find some broken javascript. The essentially kills the page, so links don't work.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

You are correct Joe.  Here is what I am seeing in the Console window:

GET https://www.mydomain.com/...a1e771326%3aaa288e2d net::ERR_ABORTED 404
            dnn.js?cdv=97:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: Sys is not defined
                at dnn.js?cdv=97:1
            (anonymous) @ dnn.js?cdv=97:1
            dnn.jquery.js?cdv=97:4297 Uncaught ReferenceError: Sys is not defined
                at dnn.jquery.js?cdv=97:4297
                at dnn.jquery.js?cdv=97:4300
            (anonymous) @ dnn.jquery.js?cdv=97:4297
            (anonymous) @ dnn.jquery.js?cdv=97:4300
            ArchitecturalControl.aspx:368 Uncaught ReferenceError: Sys is not defined
                at ArchitecturalControl.aspx:368
            (anonymous) @ ArchitecturalControl.aspx:368
            ArchitecturalControl.aspx:2192 Uncaught ReferenceError: Sys is not defined
                at ArchitecturalControl.aspx:2192
            (anonymous) @ ArchitecturalControl.aspx:2192
            dnn.controlBar.js?cdv=97:1626 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'setCookie' of undefined
                at HTMLInputElement. (dnn.controlBar.js?cdv=97:1626)
                at HTMLInputElement.dispatch (jquery.js?cdv=97:3074)
                at HTMLInputElement.elemData.handle (jquery.js?cdv=97:2750)
                at Object.trigger (jquery.js?cdv=97:2986)
                at HTMLInputElement. (jquery.js?cdv=97:3677)
                at Function.each (jquery.js?cdv=97:648)
                at init.each (jquery.js?cdv=97:270)
                at init.trigger (jquery.js?cdv=97:3676)
                at init.jQuery.fn. [as change] (jquery.js?cdv=97:7403)
                at Object.dnn.controlBar.init (dnn.controlBar.js?cdv=97:1631)

How can I fix this?

New Around Here

I actually ended up fixing this particular issue by restoring a backup of the website from a few days ago.  However, I still cannot seem to upgrade the website from 08.00.04 (226) to any version in the 9.0 realm.  Any ideas?  When I copy the 9.0 files over, and initiate the upgrade process like I am normally used to doing, it just sits there and does nothing.  Thanks for any help and advice!

Veteran Member

What do the log4net files say? (Look in /portals/_default/logs. The installer logs are named yyyy.mm.dd.log.resources.
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

This is what is in the installer logfile, Joe.

05/09/2021 03:14:30 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Internals.Steps.BaseInstallationStep Applying Upgrade Script 08.00.04.01
                  05/09/2021 03:14:30 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade Start UpgradeVersion:D:\home\solterra-connect-DNN9\web\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\08.00.04.01.SqlDataProvider
                  05/09/2021 03:14:30 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade Start UpgradeVersion:D:\home\solterra-connect-DNN9\web\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\08.00.04.01.SqlDataProvider
                  05/09/2021 03:14:30 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Internals.Steps.BaseInstallationStep Applying Upgrade Script 09.00.00
                  05/09/2021 03:14:30 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade Start UpgradeVersion:D:\home\solterra-connect-DNN9\web\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\09.00.00.SqlDataProvider
                  05/09/2021 03:14:30 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade Start ExecuteScript:D:\home\solterra-connect-DNN9\web\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\09.00.00.SqlDataProvider
                  05/09/2021 03:22:23 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Internals.Steps.BaseInstallationStep Applying Upgrade Script 08.00.04.01
                  05/09/2021 03:22:23 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade Start UpgradeVersion:D:\home\solterra-connect-DNN9\web\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\08.00.04.01.SqlDataProvider
                  05/09/2021 03:22:23 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade Start UpgradeVersion:D:\home\solterra-connect-DNN9\web\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\08.00.04.01.SqlDataProvider
                  05/09/2021 03:22:23 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Internals.Steps.BaseInstallationStep Applying Upgrade Script 09.00.00
                  05/09/2021 03:22:23 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade Start UpgradeVersion:D:\home\solterra-connect-DNN9\web\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\09.00.00.SqlDataProvider
                  05/09/2021 03:22:23 [INFO] DotNetNuke.Services.Upgrade.Upgrade Start ExecuteScript:D:\home\solterra-connect-DNN9\web\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\09.00.00.SqlDataProvider

Veteran Member

There is no benefit upgrading version number by number. Please follow the suggested upgrade path.
                    Please make sure, your hosting environment meets requirements (Windows and .Net Framework version as well as version of SQL Server) for each version you are upgrading to.

New Around Here

Thank you Sebastian.  I believe my problem is that I have SQL Server 2019 installed and I don't see that on the SQL Server compatibililty list.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved