DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Site Title and Entity Name for Privacy Statement and Terms of Use

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi, is it possible to specify somewhere in Settings the legal name of the entity that should be named in the Privacy Statement and Terms of Use pages, i.e. that's different to what is entering in the Site Title in Site Settings?

Veteran Member

The easiest thing to do is to follow the directions at https://support.managed.c...nn-terms-of-use.aspx

You will want to edit both MESSAGE_PORTAL_PRIVACY.Text and MESSAGE_PORTAL_Terms.Text

Depending on your likes, you can make small changes to what is there, or erase everything and enter your own texts.

You will also see how those pages use DNN Tokens to bring in items from the Site Settings, if you want to use them. For a single site, though, it's often smarter to replace tokens with the exact text that you want to use.

And, you see that you have several choices for scope. Usually you would do this for the site in question.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thanks Joe, but I don't want to change the text, just the name of the entity, which from the template is [Portal:PortalName].

I'd rather not hard-code the name by replacing this tag. Is there another tag or way to do this please?

Veteran Member

AFAIR, the name is specified in Global resources, the link title in the TERMS and PRIVACY skin objects should be editable in resources files in folder admin/skin. If you are using language editor in Host or portal mode, your modifications will not be overwritten during DNN Platform upgrades.

New Around Here

Thank you Sebastian. You can see the business need for what I'm asking about? It would be useful if DNN had another Tag called something like Business_Entity_Name that could be used in these types of circumstances, i.e. as compared to the descriptive words used for the Site Name.

Perhaps something to add to the roadmap, if not already under consideration?

Veteran Member

Jeff,

I appreciate what you are asking for, but that's not likely to happen short of sponsoring such an addition.

Also, I don't really appreciate the implications. All that you need to do is do a quick edit and replace "[Portal:PortalName]" with whatever you want to appear there. Then you are done. And, you can make this change globally for all portals, or for thus one portal. Simple, quick, works, and it will survive DNN version upgrades.

Maybe you can explain the reluctance to make that simple change. You might be able to change my thinking if I understand your needs better.

Most times my clients have wanted to scrap the boilerplate privacy and terms pages and replace them with verbiage provided by corporate lawyers (!!).

Joe Craig
              DNN MVP
              Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thanks Joe. In scanning through the resx file, I can see many instances where a tag like Portal:OwnerName would be preferable to where Portal:PortalName is currently used, e.g. signing off on emails. I can also envisage other situations here having such a tag would be beneficial.

I guess if site owners simply have their name as their site title, then no problems. But for SEO, I understand having some descriptive text in the title helps, which is what I've done.

I've now made the changes you suggested, even though I'm usually reluctant to go deep into a product's provided files to make custom changes. But as you say, in this situation, they won't be over-written with an update.

Veteran Member

Jeff,

I never use these standard privacy statements and terms of use from the resource files, as it is not easy to edit them. I create two pages (hidden from the menu) for that. In older DNN versions, you had to set the Url for these pages to /privacy and /terms, but now it is possible to set these pages in Settings >> Site Settings >> Site Behaviour, and you cn use a simple HTML module to edit the texts, add images, links to documents etc.

Happy DNNing!
                  Michael

Michael Tobisch
                  DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                  DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Posted By Michael Tobisch on 23 Aug 2021 02:03 AM
                    Jeff,

I never use these standard privacy statements and terms of use from the resource files, as it is not easy to edit them. I create two pages (hidden from the menu) for that. In older DNN versions, you had to set the Url for these pages to /privacy and /terms, but now it is possible to set these pages in Settings >> Site Settings >> Site Behaviour, and you cn use a simple HTML module to edit the texts, add images, links to documents etc.

Happy DNNing!
                    Michael

I agree with Michael,
                    Although I can see an advantage in an extra token when using the resx files (I can think of a few more actually), I do think that as soon as you need more flexibility than the current resx option, it's best to just use a custom page with an HTML module.
                    Especially because editing these resx files is not very accessible for most Admin users

Veteran Member

Another pro of custom pages: You can easily add a "Last changed" date to be GDPR compliant for the privacy statement (no, there is no token for that afaik, but what's wrong just writing the date?)

Happy DNNing!
                      Michael

Michael Tobisch
                      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                      DNN Connect
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved