DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

How to disable site registration

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

In Security-->Member Accounts-->Registration Settings, I set User Registration to None under the assumption that this would disable site registration. However, someone has registered after having registrations disabled for several months. Obviously the endpoint for registration is still enabled and someone with Postman is submitting registrations (or knows the url). Is there a way to disable registrations? Have I left out a step?

I am using dnn 9.8.1.

Growing Member

PS - I disabled registrations because i was getting so many bogus registrations even with captcha. Are there any other steps to suppress bots/hackers/ne'er do wells from registering without making it a total pain in the ass for honest users?

Veteran Member

are you using a dedicated registration page or default /register pseudo page?

Growing Member

Posted By Sebastian Leupold on 08 Nov 2021 11:27 AM
          are you using a dedicated registration page or default /register pseudo page?

i am using whatever came out of the box. i have not done any customizations around login or registration.

Growing Member

For this, and all other security-related issues we kindly request those be managed through the [email protected] address.

For your specific issue, we do not have any specific notes, if you could send any/all of the following in your notes to the security alias it would be appreciated.

DNN Version (We know its 9.8.1, just making note to always include it)
            DNN History - Is this a clean installation? Was it upgraded from prior editions? If upgraded, from what version initially
            Have you completed the Telerik removal?
            Does the created user have any special permissions?
            Did you recently change the configuration setting? If so, was it near the time of the user being created?
            Do you have any third-party modules installed? If so, which ones?
            Did these user accounts do anything within the application?
            Do you have IIS logs from the date that the user was created? if so, please attach or link tot hem.
            Mitchel Sellers
            Technology Advisory Group Leader
            CEO @ IowaComputerGurus, Inc. a DNN & .NET Solutions Provider
            Technical Blog: MitchelSellers.com
            You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved