DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Missing DnnTreeView?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hello Community,

I've had this issue for a while now on Evoq v9.6.4 but I never put more effort into fixing it because the "Content > Assets" page still worked. But I really do not like the UI of this "File Manager" and I want to get my "Site Assets" page working again, plus I will be upgrading to Evoq v9.10.6 shortly and would like to get this issue resolved before that time. Unfortunately, when the "Site Assets" page loads I see the following error appear:

Error: File Management is currently unavailable. DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Unknown server tag 'dnnweb:DnnTreeView'. ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: Unknown server tag 'dnnweb:DnnTreeView'. ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: Unknown server tag 'dnnweb:DnnTreeView'. ---> System.Web.HttpException: Unknown server tag 'dnnweb:DnnTreeView'. at System.Web.UI.TagPrefixTagNameToTypeMapper.System.Web.UI.ITagNameToTypeMapper.GetControlType(String tagName, IDictionary attribs) at System.Web.UI.MainTagNameToTypeMapper.GetControlType2(String tagName, IDictionary attribs, Boolean fAllowHtmlTags) at System.Web.UI.MainTagNameToTypeMapper.GetControlType(String tagName, IDictionary attribs, Boolean fAllowHtmlTags) at System.Web.UI.RootBuilder.GetChildControlType(String tagName, IDictionary attribs) at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.CreateChildBuilder(String filter, String tagName, IDictionary attribs, TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, String id, Int32 line, VirtualPath virtualPath, Type& childType, Boolean defaultProperty) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessBeginTag(Match match, String inputText) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessException(Exception ex) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseInternal() at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse() at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate) at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath) at DotNetNuke.UI.ControlUtilities.LoadControl[T](TemplateControl containerControl, String ControlSrc) at DotNetNuke.UI.Modules.WebFormsModuleControlFactory.CreateControl(TemplateControl containerControl, String controlKey, String controlSrc) at DotNetNuke.UI.Modules.WebFormsModuleControlFactory.CreateModuleControl(TemplateControl containerControl, ModuleInfo moduleConfiguration) at DotNetNuke.ModulePipeline.ModuleControlPipeline.LoadModuleControl(TemplateControl containerControl, ModuleInfo moduleConfiguration) at DotNetNuke.UI.Modules.ModuleHost.LoadModuleControl() --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Any ideas on how to fix this?

- Ben

Growing Member

Hello Ben, the old file manager is based on stuff that is included in Telerik and we do not recommend you use that anymore. It is known to be insecure and there is no way you will be able to use the old file manager without Telerik. So, you are stuck with the fabulous new file manager. Furthermore I would not invest any time or effort in Evoq.

New Around Here

Mariette,

Thanks for the input. I thought that DNN Platform 9+ had a "Tree View" style File Manager that was not based on Telerik. The Evoq Asset Manager has a (in my opinion) horrible user interface that is time-consuming to navigate. I would love to not use Evoq, but unfortunately, that is not an option for us at this point, we are for the time being stuck with it.

Veteran Member

The "tree view" style file manager in DNN Platform 9.x (aka Digital Assets Manager) is based on Telerik. The new so-called Resource Manager has this tile view, which is awful in my eyes, esp. when you have tons of files and folders.

There are some discussions about this topic on the GitHub Issues page - but in short: The platform is maintained by the community, and that means by volunteers. No one gets paid for the work, and everyone has to live (and work something where he gets money for, which makes time for working on DNN a very scarce resource). So if you really need it, save the money you spend for Evoq, and donate to the developer community to implement. Or - if you are able to do so - implement yourself and start a pull request.

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

New Around Here

Michael,

I agree the "tile view" is absolutely awful to navigate. I wasn't aware that the File Manager (Tree View) was still based on Telerik, I thought those dependencies were removed.

I am aware that DNN Platform is community-based, and limited by the time volunteers can donate to the project. Unfortunately, I don't believe I am skilled enough to add my expertise to this particular area. And I am not the one in control of the purse strings where I work, so I can't stop our Evoq Licenses nor do I have the ability to divert said monies to the volunteer developers. I am just a lowly worker bee ... trying to do what I can to make things better where I work. :-)

Thanks for the input Michael!

New Around Here

Hi Ben,

I faced your issue recently, and I was able to solve it!
              So basically, if you want to continue using the file manager, you must keep the Telerik referenced.
              Follow the solution steps from the link below to get this fixed ;).

https://dnnsupport.dnnsof...h-EVOQ-9-0-and-above

Veteran Member

Posted By Ahmed Elibyary on 06 Jul 2022 02:20 AM
                Hi Ben,

I faced your issue recently, and I was able to solve it!
                So basically, if you want to continue using the file manager, you must keep the Telerik referenced.
                Follow the solution steps from the link below to get this fixed ;).

https://dnnsupport.dnnsof...h-EVOQ-9-0-and-above

You really should not do that.
                That version of Telerik has some very serious Security issues.
                You could do this if you buy a recent Telerik license, but not with the older version that shipped with DNN..

Veteran Member

Oh , and there's a new (way better) File Manager coming with DNN 9.2.11 AFAIK

New Around Here

That version of Telerik has some Security issues.
                    You could do this if you buy a recent Telerik license, but not with the older version that shipped with DNN..

There's a hotfix in the instructions for some of the security issues, however in my case, I'm using other Telerik modules, so I would still have it referenced there anyway,
                    but yeah the new one looks promising once all the reported issues got solved.

Veteran Member

Posted By Ahmed Elibyary on 06 Jul 2022 06:14 AM
                      That version of Telerik has some Security issues.

There's a hotfix in the instructions for some of the security issues, however in my case, I'm using other Telerik modules, so I would still have it referenced there anyway,
                      but yeah the new one looks promising once all the reported issues got solved.

That security fix still has security issues, those were discovered after it was released.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved