DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Creating Dynamic Links for Documents

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Within our DNN sites for clients they many have 3-4 Administrators, and then 30+ content creators with different levels of access from managing just a few modules to managing entire sections of the site. Over time we have come up with some best practices for this type of setup for them to easily manage and organize their documents, and still restrict their access so depending on the level of access they can upload and save documents within their own departments subfolders in the asset manager. 

Some of our cleints sites are 10+ years old, and we have updated the skins and DNN version over the years, but their file manager/asset manager is a mess for some of these older ones. I thought that there was a way or use to be a way in pervious versions of DNN that when you linked a document through the link manager that you could create a dynamic link, so if that document was saved in some subfolder, and then the document was moved that the link to that document would update whereever it was created on a page within the website. This doesnt seem to be the case. 

I am curious if anyone else has ran into issues like this, and if they have any recommendations or if there is a way to create a truely dynamic link to a document so if it is moved it would remain linked. 

Veteran Member

Some older DNN versions (I think v5) sometimes created issues in te file or folder structure in the database (double folder / file names, folder with the wrong parent folder etc.) If you did not fix those the folders shown in the Asset manager can bwe a mess. The "normal" way to create a link you mention used "linkclick", that should use the file id, but if there are "logical DB" issues in the file or folder structure you can run into issues. TBH I didn't notice that the asset manager does not offer you the linkclick link any more.
      TBH I though the CKEditor could be used as a workaround, but it seems that does not work any more either.
      BTW, you should still be able to create a linkclick link in code I think.

Veteran Member

I don't know if you found a workaround for this, but I just ran into a similar issue where LinkClick does not seem to work any more in DNN 9. And while looking for a solution found this thread :-)

Veteran Member

We checked the DNN Source and I think that:

/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=_klRq-yzGAk%3d

still works (passing the encrypted file id) in DNN 9.
          But before (at least in DNN 7) one could use

/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=[FileId]

Where [FileId] =  the id of the file in question, this does not seem to work any more in DNN 9.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved