DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN7 migration

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hello,

we have inherited a website built on DNN 07.00.02.
    I want to upgrade it to the latest version, but I would like to test it beforehand on local offline VM.

I managed to transfer FTP files and database from current host and changed SQL connection strings in web.config files.
    VM has entries in hosts file to act as live website.

When entering the website, browser switches to /install/installwizard.aspx, which fails to find a file with former server local path.
    Can You please point me to a right direction what should I change so the test env works?

Thank You!

Veteran Member

Hi,

first: welcome to the DNN Community!

This happens when something is wrong with the connection - please double check if the IIS App Pool account has the necessary permissions (for updates etc. it should be a member of the db_owner role, if no upgradeConnectionString is defined in the web.config).

Also check if there is an upgradeConnectionString defined in the web.config - this account needs the db_owner role membership.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Growing Member

When entering the website, browser switches to /install/installwizard.aspx, which fails to find a file with former server local path.

Not sure what you mean by "fails to find". If you haven't actually put the UPGRADE files in place, the /install/isntallwizard.aspx file I believe won't exist.
        Chris Hammond Christoc.com Software Solutions
        With DNN since before it was DNN!
        Open Source Projects and Tutorials since 2003

New Around Here

Hello and thank You both for suggestions!

Connection string for upgrade is currently empty in my web.config file.
          Just to clarify current status:

• I did not dare to do any upgrade steps yet
          • I copied FTP files and restored DB from live site to offline test environment.
          • I changed all database connection strings that pointed to live SQL to the test SQL and created account with rights.
          • Added live web to hosts file to answer as localhost.
          • Installation wizard pops up upon visiting website

By Your advice I have now added connstring account and IUSR as SQL sysadmins to be sure and filled the same connstring for upgradeConnectionString which i should not need yet.
          Unfortunately no change.
          So that's where I feel dumb. I cannot achieve a working website to start the upgrade tests to begin with.

Veteran Member

Hello again,

if there is no upgradeConnectionString, don't worry, there is no real need for that at the moment.

I assume your SQL Server connection uses Windows Authentication, the connection string should look something like:

name="SiteSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=SQLSERVERNAME\INSTANCE;Initial Catalog=MyDNNDatabase;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"

What you need to do is the following:

1. stop the application pool that is associated with the web site
            2. Assuming the name of the application pool is "DNNAppPool" - open (Windows) Explorer and assign Modify permissions to the account "IIS AppPool\DNNAppPool" on the root folder of your DNN installation (and inherit that permission through the whole directory structure)
            3. In SQL Server Management Studio, go to Security >> Logins, add a Windows Login named "IIS AppPool\DNNAppPool" and under User Mapping, select the database and assign the "db_owner" Role.
            4. Check the table PortalAlias (note: it could be named something like "xyz_PortalAlias", depending on the setup). Change the value(s) in the column HTTPAlias to the host header you set up in IIS for the website (e.g. dnn.local or test.dnndev.me).
            5. In IIS Manager, select the web site and go to Authentication (under IIS). Select "Anonymous Authentication", and make sure it is enabled. Click on "Edit..." on the right side, and make sure that "Application Pool Identity" is selected.
            6. Start the application pool, and try again.

Hope that helps.

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect

New Around Here

Thank You for thorough answer!
              Somewhere along the way website started responding as it should and I am now wiser regarding AppPool rights.
              I will do a testing backup and now I can prepare to test upgrades (i will do my homework and read general suggestions).

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved