DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

No Install Button and Can't Edit

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Veteran Member

Posted By Silverbear on 7/14/2023 8:22 PM
    That makes sense. I'll see what I can do about becoming a Super User. Thank you!

If you have access to the SQL Server database and to the IIS Management Console, there is a very easy way to achieve that.There is a table called Users (or maybe something like xxx_Users), open that table, find your record and change the value of the IsSuperUser field to 1. Then restart the application pool, navigate to the web site, login ... et voilà!

Happy DNNing!
    Michael

Michael Tobisch
    DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
    DNN Connect

Veteran Member

FYI - While this method can get you in, I'd recommend getting in and doing whatever you need to do, then change the value back. Superusers do not have a profile associated to them, and they have all of the available permissions available.

So, while you can do everything and it's really tempting to use the SU account for everything moving forward, this can become a usability and security issue.

In order to stabilize your access and protect the website, I'd recommend getting in as everyone has said, then create a SU account that's yours and is only used for SU-related needs. Once you're done installing a module - for example - you can then log out and log back in as an Admin (or other user type), then continue working like normal.

Personally, I use two web browsers to do this at all times, to make it easier. In one browser, I only log in as a SU for any website I manage. In the other browser, I always use the lesser privileged user account(s) I have.

Of course, you can also just log in and manage your website as-is. These are only recommendations. ;)

I hope this helps!

New Around Here

Can I access the SQL Server database and the IIS Management Console without being a Super User?  I am still waiting to hear from the person who built the site so he can make me a SU. 

Veteran Member

Only if you have access to the server. IIS would be on the web server. SQL Server would be on the database server. (These could both be on the same machine, Depending on your environment, these could also belong to a multi-server “farm” as well.)

David Poindexter

Creator:

New Around Here

I don't have access to the server, either. I'm just kind of stuck until I hear from the person who built the site.

New Around Here

So I got host access but not server access. I've poked around and see issues with the site, such as the cart doesn't work, many unsecure pages, funky pictures on mobile, missing meta tags, etc. I've considered just moving the site to another platform, which shall remain nameless, but that just seems a huge hassle. So I'm thinking I need to find someone who can fix and maintain the site, since I think a lot of its issues are beyond my capabilities.  

Veteran Member

Posted By Silverbear on 7/29/2023 5:28 PM

So I got host access but not server access. I've poked around and see issues with the site, such as the cart doesn't work, many unsecure pages, funky pictures on mobile, missing meta tags, etc. I've considered just moving the site to another platform, which shall remain nameless, but that just seems a huge hassle. So I'm thinking I need to find someone who can fix and maintain the site, since I think a lot of its issues are beyond my capabilities.  

Feel free to reach out.  Happy to see how we can help.

David Poindexter

Creator:

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                Page 2 of 2 << < 12

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved