DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN v9.12.00 Web API

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Hi,

I have built for testing purposes a simple Web API, which works perfect locally but when I'm trying to reach the endpoint (by Postman or by Module) in the productive online version, I always get the error '401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.'. The credentials are exactly the same in local and online version.

------------------------
    public class ExchangeOrderController : DnnApiController
    {
        [HttpGet]
        [DnnAuthorize(StaticRoles = "ExchangeOrderDK")]
        public IHttpActionResult Get()
        {
            try
            {
                return Ok("Request was successful!");
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                return Content(HttpStatusCode.InternalServerError, ex.Message);
            }
        }
    }
    ------------------------

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Martin

Veteran Member

Do you see anything different in the headers between the two environments?

Are you sure the code is the same in both places?

Does there happen to be a WAF in production? If yes, are there any security policies/rules that might be getting in the way?

New Around Here

In the Response Headers Section I found the following difference:

Production (not working) > There is one entry which is only in the online Request available:
        WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="www.xxxxxxx.ch"

Veteran Member

Does the domain match what you expect? 

New Around Here

Yes, it does

Veteran Member

Okay, interesting...  

What about the firewall question?  Do you have anything like that getting in the way too, or no?  

The next test I would perform after that, would be to backup the website, and restore it as a test site on the same server, as a Staging site.  This would also allow you to do further testing to see if it's the website itself or something else in your infrastructure.  For example, toggling debugging and whatnot.  

Once you have the staging website up and running, turn on debugging in the website config file, in DNN itself (Host Settings), and in Log4NET to gather even more information.  When do all of them, you'll have all possible logging turned on.  Also, the URL provider may insert more/new/different details into the response headers.  

If you want to save some steps in turning on all of the debugging, you can use our Upendo DNN Prompt command to do that.  

Growing Member

...and look for differences in your IIS configurations

New Around Here

No WAF in use.

Enabled all debugging possibilities, I found  the following warning in Log-File:
                  ------------
                  2023-07-26 19:05:26,448 [ranger][Thread:109][WARN] DotNetNuke.Entities.Tabs.TabController - Invalid tabId -1 of portal 0

2023-07-26 19:05:26,448 [ranger][Thread:109][WARN] DotNetNuke.Web.Api.StandardTabAndModuleInfoProvider - The specified moniker () is not defined in the system
                  ------------

New Around Here

BTW: Code is the following

public class ExchangeOrderController : DnnApiController
                        {
                            [HttpGet]
                            [DnnAuthorize(StaticRoles = "ExchangeOrderDK")]
                            public IHttpActionResult Get()
                            {
                                try
                                {
                                    return Ok("Request was successful!");
                                }
                                catch (Exception ex)
                                {
                                    return Content(HttpStatusCode.InternalServerError, ex.Message);
                                }
                            }
                        }

New Around Here

One thing that is very strange: My ISP told me that he can authorize successfully to my API with the FTP-Credentials (which have nothing to do with the users and roles inside DNN)

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved