DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

UPgrade from 4 to 9

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

How can DNN upgrade from version 4 to the current version 9?

Well, the short answer is this...  

Get to know the general DNN upgrade documentation.  

Use the suggested DNN upgrade path as your starting point.  

You'll find yourself going through a loop for various versions by first upgrading every extension you can, then upgrading to the next version of DNN you find you can safely upgrade to.  You may find yourself having to contact various module vendors to get several versions of their extensions, so you can upgrade to the current release.  It will be a lot of upgrade DNN, stop to upgrade extensions, upgrade DNN, upgrade extensions again, etc.  

This is further explained in my most recent DNN Upgrade presentation:  

Now, realistically, depending on how complicated the site it, you may find your time better used by using an alternative method/suggestion.  

This is the time when I would be looking at the website in more detail, and then suggest that we instead build a new DNN instance that is using the latest modules, then import all of the content into these newer modules.  These newer modules may even be different modules altogether from the previous website.  It's possible you're using extensions that no longer exist since DNN 4.xx.  It usually results in a more stable website, and takes a shorter amount of time.  

New Around Here

Hi

You don't give too much information about the Version 4 site

Questions to ask yourself
        1. Home many pages are there
        2. What modules are being used
        3. What knowledge do you have of SQL

You can then size the job
        1. If it's only a few pages just consider doing a new install of DNN
        2. If it's only a few modules then look to the latest version and replicate on a new DNN
        3. If you know SQL then there is a chance or copying "content" with a few commands

1. If it's basically just pages of "static" content manually copying up to 100 pages may be quicker then going through an upgrade - https://docs.dnncommunity...ggested-upgrade-path
        2. If you've only got a few forms (10) consider rebuilding

I've developed something I call DNN Simple which only uses 2 modules Reports and DataSprings Dynamic form. Not even HTML, and I've migrated former HTML paged sites to this quite easily.

Best of luck

Dave
        You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
        2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
        3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
        4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
        5. No Flaming or Trolling.
        6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
        7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
        8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved