DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Help! Error on moving site to new server

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

New Around Here

Currently application pool identity is 'ApplicationPoolIdentity' both in FROM and TO servers.SQL Server is installed on the same machine.In the web config connection string, I have used user name and password.If instead I use "integrated security" as true, on browsing dnndev.me, I will get 'DNN Error.Connection to the datbase failed ' error

Let me know for testing purpose how to display an image on the site via web browser by entering the direct path .Also let me know how can I check App Pool configuration that the user profile not loaded and only one worker process is enabled.

New Around Here

Yes, the current live server is Windows Server 2016 and I am trying to move dnn site to new server having Windows 2022 server.Both are 64 bit .

Veteran Member

I think everyone here provided all of the great advice we'd expect for the initial troubleshooting. In my experience, this has either happened due to a typo somewhere, or the server not being properly configured.

It sounds like you're in the thick of it, so I'd suggest starting from the beginning, and copy/paste all URL and other configuration values.

I'd also suggest going through all of the software prerequisites and then run Windows updates again to ensure all of the latest updates are in place.

Outside of that, if you have any new log entries that can help us offer more insights, please paste those here.

Veteran Member

Posted By divyamk on 1/8/2024 5:15 PM

Yes, the current live server is Windows Server 2016 and I am trying to move dnn site to new server having Windows 2022 server.Both are 64 bit .

OK, I did a bit of research, but I am not sure if this is helpful. Anyway.

There is a file named applicationHost[dot]config located in C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config. This file is more or less a kind of "meta"-web[dot]config, that defines the standard settings for all IIS sites like which modules are loaded by default etc. It also defines which parts must not be overwritten by individual web[dot]config files, and even if this has been like this in older Windows versions it was ignored there - propably or maybe a bug that they fixed in Windows 2022.

In my case it was the authentication methods, the lines

<system.webserver>
             <security>
                <authentication>
                   <windowsauthentication enabled="true" />
                   <anonymousauthentication enabled="false" username="" />
                </authentication>
             </security>

threw the error. The solution was to delete the security section in the web[dot]config and creating that setting using IIS manager. This writes exactly these lines to the applicationHost[dot]config file like

<location path="MyWebSite">
             <system.webServer>
                <security>
                   <authentication>
                      <anonymousAuthentication enabled="false" />
                      <windowsAuthentication enabled="true" />
                   </authentication>
                </security>
             </system.webServer>
          </location>

Then it worked. Another solution would have been to replace the word "Deny" by "Allow" in these lines: 

<sectionGroup name="system.webServer">
             <sectionGroup name="authentication">
                <section name="anonymousAuthentication" overrideModeDefault="Deny" />
                <section name="windowsAuthentication" overrideModeDefault="Deny" />
             </sectionGroup>

Hope it brings you in the right direction.

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

PS: If you wonder why I am writing [dot] instead of a . - Cloudflare would block the post otherwise...

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

New Around Here

Posted By Michael Tobisch on 1/9/2024 2:45 AM
            Posted By divyamk on 1/8/2024 5:15 PM

OK, I did a bit of research, but I am not sure if this is helpful. Anyway.

There is a file named applicationHost[dot]config located in C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config. This file is more or less a kind of "meta"-web[dot]config, that defines the standard settings for all IIS sites like which modules are loaded by default etc. It also defines which parts must not be overwritten by individual web[dot]config files, and even if this has been like this in older Windows versions it was ignored there - propably or maybe a bug that they fixed in Windows 2022.

In my case it was the authentication methods, the lines

threw the error. The solution was to delete the security section in the web[dot]config and creating that setting using IIS manager. This writes exactly these lines to the applicationHost[dot]config file like

Then it worked. Another solution would have been to replace the word "Deny" by "Allow" in these lines: 

Hope it brings you in the right direction.

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

PS: If you wonder why I am writing [dot] instead of a . - Cloudflare would block the post otherwise...

Thank you for your great suggestion.But I have checked web[dot]config file and as you pointed out, there is no section in the web[dot]config file. But tried to set WindowsAuthentication enabled as True using IIS manager and it writes exactly those lines to the applicationHost[dot]config file as in your post.But its not fixed the issue

Also tried the next suggestion to replace the word "Deny" by "Allow" in applicationHost file and still the issue is same

Veteran Member

It is not necessarily the authentication section. Could be anything else, take it as an example.

Happy DNNing!
              Michael

Michael Tobisch
              DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
              DNN Connect

New Around Here

Posted By Will Strohl on 1/8/2024 1:47 PM
                I think everyone here provided all of the great advice we'd expect for the initial troubleshooting. In my experience, this has either happened due to a typo somewhere, or the server not being properly configured.

It sounds like you're in the thick of it, so I'd suggest starting from the beginning, and copy/paste all URL and other configuration values.

I'd also suggest going through all of the software prerequisites and then run Windows updates again to ensure all of the latest updates are in place.

Outside of that, if you have any new log entries that can help us offer more insights, please paste those here.

I compared IIS setting on current server and new server and installed all missing modules. Ran windows update on new server, but still site can't be reached error.There is no log on event viewer also. When enabled 32 bit application on corresponding application pool on IIS, there is log on event viewer that  

Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException 
                Exception message: Could not load file or assembly 'ChilkatDotNet2' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

Veteran Member

Posted By divyamk on 1/9/2024 8:34 AM

Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException 
                  Exception message: Could not load file or assembly 'ChilkatDotNet2' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

First, another step that could help to find issues is to perform a clean installation of the same version and SKU (e.g., Platform or Evoq) of DNN you're using and then grab a copy of that web(dot)config file.  Use a comparison program like WinMerge to compare the files to determine if there are any other dependencies that you may not be aware of.  It often also will show missing & legacy updates that you may want to incorporate as well.  My goal when doing this is to put everything into the same order first, then compare it line by line to see if anything looks out of place.  The web(dot)config files will never be a 100% match, but this process can highlight a lot about your site. 

Now, the error message you just presented is usually fairly straightforward.  Normally, this message means that either the site (or the file itself) doesn't have proper permissions assigned.  Either that or the file is literally missing.  However, if the site worked without any modifications just before, then it sounds more likely that this DLL may need to be rebuilt using a newer version of .NET.  It may be compiled against a .NET version that's too old for the new server.  

Veteran Member

Does it work on the server itself? Maybe Firewall rules blocking in that case?

Happy DNNing!
                    Michael

Michael Tobisch
                    DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                    DNN Connect

New Around Here

Posted By Michael Tobisch on 1/10/2024 2:03 AM

Does it work on the server itself? Maybe Firewall rules blocking in that case?

Happy DNNing!
                      Michael

Yes the site is still live using old server. Tried to move to another Windows Server 2022 and the same issue there also.  

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved