DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Office 365 SMTP Stopped working

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I have several sites that were configured and working correctly - sending mail as expected - (all slightly different 9.x CE versions), right up until the last ~15 days or so - I'm not sure exactly what date they stopped working. Some use the DNN Feedback module, some using 3rd party module (Action Form).

Now, none of them work, and thus far have not found any solutions. Has anyone else experienced this, and have you been able to resolve? Thank you!

Growing Member

I recommend looking for the common thread. Are they using the same email account or mail service or email server, host, data center, outgoing spam checker? Are the IP addresses of the outgoing email servers blacklisted on spam watch sites?

New Around Here

Thank you for your response - it turned out to be 'none of the above'. It had been working quite well for some time, however it was setup using a shared mailbox. Apparently, I got away for free for a while, until MS did a sweep. What I missed during setup was the following key line in the MS documentation: Mailbox: You must have a licensed Office 365 mailbox to send email from.

I didn't see that line, and it worked perfectly for quite a while, so I never gave it another thought. So the fix is to make this mailbox a paid licence. I confirmed that it works using a different paid license mailbox.

The Microsoft document is here: https://docs.microsoft.co...th-client-submission

Thanks again!

Growing Member

I'm glad you worked it out, and thanks for sharing your solution. :)

New Around Here

We are having a simliar issue 
            we upgraded to DDN  09.07.02

We have a office 365 lincence the work and is receiving email 
            but when we us is to send email from the web site we get an error 

User is not authorized to relay messages through the server 

But we can happy send an email from the user to the user 

As a work around we have a gmail account forwarding emails to the clients email 

Advanced Member

May I add a shameless plug for DNN 9.9.0? We are close to releasing this exiting version which has a new mail provider and better support for O365. See https://github.com/dnnsof...ases/tag/v9.9.0-rc2.

Mariette Knap
              Microsoft MVP Alumni
              You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved