DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

upgrade 9.11 to 9.50 failed, roll back fails

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

About 10 days ago I followed the upgrade path for 9.1.1 to 9.5.0, which I posted about.  I did roll back to 9.1.1 using my backup database and directory. 

All is working on all 18 sites, different skins on several sites, but one item that is not working is images.

When visiting each site most if not all the images are not displayed.  I can login to each site, login as host and the images are displayed.  When I logout most of the images are displayed.  If I visit each page and Clear Cache, then logout the images are there.  If I wait maybe an hour or more and revisit the site most images are not displayed.  Last night I read an article where someone had a similar problem it it was suggested they clear the DNN\App_Data\ClientDependency and that worked.. last night, but this morning images are now gone.

Premissions on the ClientDependency folder are fine.

Veteran Member

Any reason the images are not displaying? 404? And if so, are the images really not on the server?
      Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Nope, the images are ALL there... No 404... just blank image frame. I used Robocopy to copy the files from the previous DNN directory and maintained all permissions.  The original 9.1.1 site has been working fine since around 2018.

FYI, even though it says "New Member" that is only because I just joined the new forums about a week ago.  I have been on the old forums for years and started with DNN around version 1.

Veteran Member

Sync the files in Site Assets.

Right click and inspect one of the broken images. What is the URL? Does that link work if you are an admin?

If the link works for admins, go to Site Assets and check file permissions (Permissions in Site Assets is different than Windows permissions). I have a dim memory of a file error in early 9.x, so you might want to try upgrading for a 9.3.2 (?).
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

All images are displayed when I am logged in as Admin so I know they are there.  I have a team meeting on with another group in about 3 minutes so I will try the Site Assets permisions later.

New Around Here

The other wierd part is if I am logged out and right click an image to "view image" it offers me the login screen.  I do not login, but select the same menu item and all the images are then displayed....

New Around Here

Joe, I have never had this problem when I backed up database and directory in the past.

I do not believe I have ever looked at the Site Assets permissions so not sure what should be there...

Currently when I look at Site Assets permssions I see Role Administrators has a lock in "Broswe Files in Folder", "Open Files in Folder" and "Write to Folder".  Both All Users and Registered Users are blank.

Veteran Member

If you get the login screen when trying to view the image, clearly there are permissions that print it.

Try checking the box for All Users.

I do have a fleeting memory of some issues with image permissions in early DNN 9 versions. Try updating to 9.3.2 and see what happens.
                  Joe Craig
                  DNN MVP
                  Patapsco Research Group

New Around Here

Thank you all for the suggestions.  It did end up being a Windows server directory permissions problem, I failed to add one user to the DNN directory in the new instance.  The new 9.1.1 instance and the upgraded instance are both working properly.  The upgraded instance is running 9.6.0 RC1 and I will use it for testing the version.

Thanks again and special thanks to @ Joe Craig for prompting me to look closer at permissions.

One piece of advise to all who plan on upgrading....

First, make a backup of your current versions database and directory.    MAKE SURE you upgrade all modules, skins, themes, containers, extensions and .NET Framework PRIOR to upgrading a site.

Veteran Member

I'm glad you got this sorted out.

And, your admonition to make good restorable backups is one that, unfortunately, is learned over and over and over again. For many, Evotiva's backup module is a good one to own.
                      Joe Craig
                      DNN MVP
                      Patapsco Research Group
                      You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved