DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Can not change password

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I got this message; "Your new password was not accepted for security reasons. Please choose a password that hasn´t been used before."

We are using DNN Platform v.09.13.02, long time without need to change an user password, so no idea from when this is happens.

User:    Locked Out: False   Authorized: True

on the Webconfig: enablePasswordRetreival="false"   enablePasswordReset="true"   passwordFormat="Hashed"

On Settings >> Server >> Clear Cache and them Restart Application

On Chrome browser: Empty Cache and Hard Reload

Nothing help and no idea what else to do, I really apreciate any tip or solution to this issue.

Best,

Juan Tarte

Veteran Member

DNN has a setting that, by default, remembers your previous 5 passwords. When you attempt to change your password, you need to choose one that hasn't been one of the previous 5.

New Around Here

Thanks Will for your help, but I also was considering 5 passwords uses, I´m trying with a complete new one never use, additional this customer was resently create, system send the link but he don´t use it.

I also try to send a reset password link, but same message or similar.

I did it just to make it easy for the customer,  changing the password and this issue was same, not allow me to did it.

Veteran Member

Well, that's interesting (and odd).  🤔 

I haven't experienced this with other use cases like you are.  Are you aware of any other environmental things that may be contributing to the issue? 

For example, does your site have any specific authentication settings in place?  Are you using the core authentication provider or a custom one?  Have any of the settings been changed in the web(dot)config? 

New Around Here

Posted By JA Tarte on 4/9/2024 7:03 AM
            After your last replay, I try to change password in other site and works, on this site the one giving me the message I select another user and was able to change the password.

The message was only with this user, more but more strange. I recheck all and do not find anything different.

Any clue, before proceed to delete this uer and create a new one?

I just found the reason why is happens, on table dbo.aspnet_Membership Email and LoweredEmail was duplicate, I remember i modified this user email, because was not correct, dont remember the steps, to see if can be recreate, I thing maybe and extra control was necessary.

Advanced Member

Glad you figured it out!  Perhaps it was modified in the database directly or via some non-conventional way?  Neither of these approaches are recommended.  There is also a setting in DNN that enforces unique email addresses, so that may or may not have been a factor as well.

David Poindexter

Creator:

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
              2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
              3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
              4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
              5. No Flaming or Trolling.
              6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
              7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
              8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved