DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN Upgrade or Install

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade DNN to 9.6.1 from 4.8.3. Completed prerequisites like .net version etc. Now there is an upgrade path I followed and the upgrade was a success but,

Our project is setup in such a way, there are 20 different projects under the root. They don't know what DNN is, we have an installer which takes the 4.8.3 install files from root along with some of our project files and creates a website folder under those 20 projects which now basically has 4.8.3 install files. Then when we do an install=installResources on 20 of them (20 applications in IIS application pool, each project has its own website path).

So now I upgraded the root to 9.6.1 and then our installer tries to copy them to 20 of them, and then when i run install=installresources url on every one of them, I get this error -

2020-06-16 10:22:38,912 [US5CG81225R8][Thread:1][ERROR] DotNetNuke.ComponentModel.ProviderInstaller - System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load provider DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke.SqlDataProvider
    2020-06-16 10:22:38,989 [US5CG81225R8][Thread:1][ERROR] DotNetNuke.ComponentModel.ProviderInstaller - System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load provider DotNetNuke.Services.Scheduling.DNNScheduling.DNNScheduler, DotNetNuke.DNNScheduler
    2020-06-16 10:22:39,005 [US5CG81225R8][Thread:1][ERROR] DotNetNuke.ComponentModel.ProviderInstaller - System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load provider DotNetNuke.Security.Membership.AspNetMembershipProvider, DotNetNuke.Provider.AspNetProvider
    2020-06-16 10:22:39,022 [US5CG81225R8][Thread:1][ERROR] DotNetNuke.ComponentModel.ProviderInstaller - System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load provider DotNetNuke.Security.Membership.DNNRoleProvider, DotNetNuke.Provider.DNNProvider
    2020-06-16 10:22:39,028 [US5CG81225R8][Thread:1][ERROR] DotNetNuke.ComponentModel.ProviderInstaller - System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load provider DotNetNuke.Security.Profile.DNNProfileProvider, DotNetNuke.Provider.DNNProvider

I read in DNN community that these errors are

"DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider script contains initial data to set up your portal. it is not re-runnable and assumes to run against a blank database using fixed id values."

So, are these errors because the root is already upgraded and then my installer is copying those already installed initial data to 20 of them? And then when ran an installresources on 20 of them they could not find that initial data?

Now I'm thinking if DNN Install is a better solution than upgrade? So the idea is empty the 4.8.3 contents in my root and replace them with 9.61 and will there be any additional steps to ensure its correct?

I'm confused the waythis is going. Can someone please help me find a better route with this upgrade? Thank you very much in advance.

Veteran Member

Be careful, and I hope that you have MADE BACKUPS before you started.

Also, I don't entirely understand what you mean by "there are 20 different projects under the root." Is this 20 separate DNN portals, all in one install, or something else.

You should also know that installing DNN over something that exists will destroy whatever is there, so doing a DNN install and moving content should be done by installing DNN somewhere that doesn't overwrite what you have.

It is clear that you don't have a simple situation here, so you're going to need to educate yourself a bit better before you take the plunge into the upgrade.

The DNN upgrade can be done, and it will require some work. You should also find the "recommended upgrade path" in the documentation of this website. Depending on the experience and skill level available to you, it might make sense to get some help from someone who knows how to do all of this. They are available!
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group
      You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved