DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

"Best Practice" for remote database

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

I have a hyper-v guest os - windows server 2019 - running sql server express 2019 to which i wish to migrate my dnn database. the guest os is running on a physical host running windows server 2019 from which the iis application runs. This is my 2-server network.

I currently use an iis apppool user with integrated security to access the database, something which i have not figured out how to do with my new server, and suspect that it may be impossible. consequently i am considering creating a domain user to access the remote dnn database hoping that i can still retain integrated security. i refuse to pollute my web.config file with credentials - encrypted or not.

Is this approach supportable and recommended? or does a better implementation exist? If the domain user approach is recommended, how do i configure it so that its permissions are restricted to database access?

Growing Member

it appears that managed service accounts are what i want to use. if i  understand correctly, i can configure it for both iis and sql server which provides the same functionality using apppool identity for the apppool.

there is a considerable amount of new material here for me, but i believe that it is doable.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved