I will shortly share our story of upgrade from 7.4.3 to 9.3.2 in Azure.
It was a big migration, but finally, it's working. So, have confidence, it will work out :)
The main caveats during the upgrade:
- We had several different languages in the portal. In the 9.3.2 version the languages seemed to be corrupted and selecting a menu item would make a change to default language. SOLUTION: make primary portal alias for each language. You should also disable / enable languages (in Site settings) for required settings to be generated in the DNN DB. Which settings are generated by the new portal version - likely someone else can describe better.
- Also check Site settings (these are working for us):
- Enable language parameter in URLs = OFF
- Enable Browser Language Detection = OFF
- Users May Choose Interface Language = ON
- Many DNN API functions depracated. This causes rewrite of some module code. However, this was relatively small piece of work in the end for us.
- Iframe asp.net tag formation has changed in .NET Framework 4.5.x. Iframe is no longer WebControl, rather HtmlControl. SOLUTION: transform ASP.NET iframes from WebControl to HtmlControl.