DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN 4.09.05

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hey All .. I have a legacy version of DNN  (4.09.05) that is currently running on Windows Server 2008.   I know .. OLD .. and i should upgrade it but it does what it needs to do so all is good.   My host (DiscountASP) is needing me to upgrade to Windows 2012 or 2016 for end of life reasons with 2008

Does anyone know of any gotcha's that I should be aware of with this migration?   3.5 Framework will exist.

Veteran Member

Requirements for running DNN are at https://www.dnndocs.com/c...uirements/index.html
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Bargra,

DNN 4.9.5 on Windows 2008 "does what it needs to do so all is good" - omg! The question for this configuration is not "Will it be hacked?" but "When will it be hacked?" - and the answer is: more sooner than later.

Windows 2008 is out of support since January 2020 and does not get anymore security upgrades from Microsoft.

DNN 4.9.5 was the last DNN 4 version, which was released in September 2009 (together with DNN 5.1.2). There are indeed a lot of security issues since that time, and you are indeed open for these.

I would strongly recommend to upgrade...

Happy DNNing!
        Michael

Michael Tobisch
        DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
        DNN Connect

Veteran Member

Upgrade ASAP but at least make sure there are no references to the FCK editor..

New Around Here

Upgrading is generally not hard, but it depends a lot on what plugins are installed and in use.

If you decide to try, be prepared for a lot of trial and error and get good at quick backups and restores. There is a lot of great advice in this video that could save you many hours, mystery errors, and deadends.

How to Upgrade DNN
            https://youtu.be/bSgJ07AAT4s 

And this doc gives you the best milestones.

Suggested Upgrade Path
            https://dnndocs.com/conte...gested-upgrade-path/

Also, if there is a budget available and you are willing to outsource the upgrade project, there are a lot of Dnn Agencies that can help.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved