DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Themes Using Bootstrap 4 vs Bootstrap 3

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Is mixing a site theme using boostrap 4 a risk if mixing with modules still using boostrap 3. i am not sure about backward compatibility in the context of dnn 9.8 (or anywhere else for that matter)

Veteran Member

I just had this issue :-)
      No, BS4 is not compatible with BS3.
      So, you might run into issues. If you use a BS4 theme, you might need to uncheck BS include if you run ActionForm for instance. Or uncheck BS JS if you use ActionGrid.
      Just to give you an idea.
      Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

Growing Member

my shopping car vendor revindex is saying that it should not be an issue, but notice the should word. i am assuming what you said is correct. i will avoid bs4 for now. and then there are other modules.

is dnn 9.8 using bs4?

Veteran Member

DNN does not "use" Bootstrap in any form.

Typically, Bootstrap may be used by Themes and Modules.

The default Theme provided with DNN 9.8.0 is Xcillion, which uses Bootstrap v3.4.1.

Modules that you install may or may not use Bootstrap. You will have to check with developers.
          Joe Craig
          DNN MVP
          Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Posted By Joe Craig on 04 Jan 2021 12:54 PM

The default Theme provided with DNN 9.8.0 is Xcillion, which uses Bootstrap v3.4.1.

Modules that you install may or may not use Bootstrap. You will have to check with developers.

This might be the first time ever that I have something to add to one of Joe's comments :-) 

Xcillion has been around for quite some time and was originally built in BS3. Currently, Xcillion is shipped with BS4 (4.5 if my Wappalyzer is correct).

If you want to build your own theme you can start with one of the free and open source versions on https://dnncommunity.org/...ter:textGroup=Theme.

You can also buy from Vendors like Mandeeps, EasyDNNSolutions or DNNGo who offer themes so you won't have to worry about a good design, resposiveness etc.

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
            Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
            We just love DNN
            https://www.tjeps.com

Growing Member

Posted By Tycho de Waard (SU) on 04 Jan 2021 01:51 PM
              Posted By Joe Craig on 04 Jan 2021 12:54 PM

This might be the first time ever that I have something to add to one of Joe's comments :-) 

Xcillion has been around for quite some time and was originally built in BS3. Currently, Xcillion is shipped with BS4 (4.5 if my Wappalyzer is correct).

If you want to build your own theme you can start with one of the free and open source versions on https://dnncommunity.org/...ter:textGroup=Theme.

You can also buy from Vendors like Mandeeps, EasyDNNSolutions or DNNGo who offer themes so you won't have to worry about a good design, resposiveness etc.

i am definitely not diy when it comes to themes which is why i use a 3d party, currently dnngo and xcillion. and so the point of my question was to determine the points of intersection where bootstrap versions might be an issue and consequently which modules/products i needed to manage. thank you two for helping clarify the issues. 

Veteran Member

So rare you had to post it twice???

But ... I opened up the bootstrap.min.js file in a freshly downloaded and installed dnn980 and found:

* Bootstrap v3.4.1 (https://getbootstrap.com/)
                * Copyright 2011-2019 Twitter, Inc.
                * Licensed under the MIT license

I did this again with DNN 9.8.1rc1, too. I got the same result. What the heck am I missing?

Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Posted By Joe Craig on 04 Jan 2021 04:22 PM
                  So rare you had to post it twice???

But ... I opened up the bootstrap.min.js file in a freshly downloaded and installed dnn980 and found:

* Bootstrap v3.4.1 (https://getbootstrap.com/)
                  * Copyright 2011-2019 Twitter, Inc.
                  * Licensed under the MIT license

I did this again with DNN 9.8.1rc1, too. I got the same result. What the heck am I missing?

i found a version of xcillion 2 which says that it uses bootstrap 4.x. i will test it later to verify compatibilty before buying any bs4 based themes. however, given the experiences tycho shared, my investigation is experimental due diligence.

Veteran Member

That's probably correct if you have Xcillion 2 installed. It's the theme/skin that adds Bootstrap to a DNN portal. But it looks me like the DNN distributions still contain the older version of Xcillion.

The problem that you will have is the case where a module is using or adding a BS3 dependency.
                    Joe Craig
                    DNN MVP
                    Patapsco Research Group
                    You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved