DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Folders

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

I'm looking for a starting point to write a SP to retrieve all folders and subfolders of a ParentID. I believe I have seen folder-pickers that have obviously figured out this logic. I have looked through the stored procedures in DNN and didn't see anything obvious. Is anyone familiar with this task and could you steer me in the right direction? Go DNN!

Veteran Member

IF Exists(SELECT * from Sys.procedures WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.GetFoldersRecursive'))
      DROP PROCEDURE dbo.GetFoldersRecursive
      GO

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.GetFoldersRecursive (
      @FolderID Int -- Not Null, > 0
      )
      AS
      BEGIN
      DECLARE @folderPath nvarchar(255);
      DECLARE @PortalID int;
      SELECT @folderPath = FolderPath + N'%',
      @PortalID = IsNull(PortalID, -1)
      FROM dbo.Folders
      WHERE FolderID = @FolderID;
      SELECT *
      FROM dbo.Folders
      WHERE IsNull(PortalID, -1) = @PortalID
      AND FolderPath Like @FolderPath
      ORDER BY FolderPath;
      END; --Procedure
      GO

Exec dbo.GetFoldersRecursive 1;

Veteran Member

Posted By Mark Buelsing on 09 Aug 2019 04:06 PM

I'm looking for a starting point to write a SP to retrieve all folders and subfolders of a ParentID. I believe I have seen folder-pickers that have obviously figured out this logic. I have looked through the stored procedures in DNN and didn't see anything obvious. Is anyone familiar with this task and could you steer me in the right direction? Go DNN!

@Mark: You're a veteran DNN-er, so you probably have a great reason to directly access the database.  So, this response is mostly for others that may come across it... :)

It is never a good idea to write queries against or otherwise directly access the database of DNN (or any platform for that matter).  This is because the database is not considered to be part of the API.  As a result, the schema, stored procedures, and all other aspects of the database are subject to change without notice and will almost certainly lead to breaking changes for anyone directly accessing the database.  Instead, the API itself should be used whenever possible to avoid breaking changes in the future. 

(By the way, sadly, this kind of approach is often how some people come to think DNN sucks.  It broke, so it must be DNN's fault.)

Veteran Member

There are use cases for direct database access, like using DNN Reports module to present a list instead of creating a custom module. Of course, you need to be aware that schema changes may occurr in new DNN versions and you need to test DNN upgrades thoroughly.
          You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved