DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Cannot get the site alias without subdomain to work

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I want to use an ACME bot for free certificates for some of my sites. For that, I must use Azure DNS. It works fine with the alias https://www.aivest.com/ (I can not yet switch to "only SSL" since some of the sites on that DNN host have no certificate, yet).

But I cannot get https://aivest.com/ (or http://aivest.com/) to work properly. Previously, I used the DNS of my registrar domaindiscount24.com, and that DNS service supports HTTP forwarding. All requests to aivest.com were forwaded via 301 to www.aivest.com. But Azure DNS does not have such feature. So now aivest.com and www.aivest.com both use an A record to the DNN server (which I confirmed works).

In DNN I added the site alias aivest.com and set the "Site alias mapping mode" to canonical (this is version 9.7.1 btw). I thought that would do it. But for some reason the alias without subdomain (what is the name of that?) will not work, or at least not reliably. I am getting mixed results but I think that is because some of the browsers / machines I tried still cached the old 301 or something.

Sorry if some of what I write is bogus, I am really no DNS expert. Does someone know what I can do to get the urls without subdomain working again?

Veteran Member

Tim,

you need the certificate for both www.aivest.com and aivest.com (one certificate!).

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

Growing Member

Posted By Tim on 26 Apr 2021 11:43 AM

But for some reason the alias without subdomain (what is the name of that?) will not work, or at least not reliably. I am getting mixed results but I think that is because some of the browsers / machines I tried still cached the old 301 or something.

What actually happens?  Just telling us "It does not work" isn't enough information to help you.  We generally need threee things:

- what did you do?

- what happened?

- how was that different to what you expected?

Thanks,
        Richard
        www.dynamisys.co.uk

New Around Here

Sorry for the late reply, I did not receive a notification.

In the meantime I "solved" this issue by using Azure Front Door - only to redirect requests from aivest.com to www.aivest.com. Thank you Michael, I verified that the certificate works with both domains.

Richard: I think my problem (or misconception) essentially is, that I cannot use a root / apex / base domain as a site alias in DNN. At least I tried this (with and without certificate) unsuccessfully. What happens is: I am getting a 404 for the apex domain, although I can verify that domain.com and www.domain.com both (via A record) point to the same IP and there are site aliases for aivest.com and www.aivest.com defined (I tried, redirect, canonical...)

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved