DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Search Service - partial matches before complete matches

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Hopefully I picked the right forum as I consider search results from Lucene might be a matter of DNN configuration.

When entering the word 'julie' and requesting results from the /API/internalservices/searchService/search appears to return results from EasyDNNNews based on the word 'juli' with a higher proriity than results concerning users with a firstname of 'julie'. Please the attached screen print.
    Perhaps something to do with the configuration, so far I have tried setting different Custom Analyzer Types like  Lucene.Net.Analysis.StopAnalyzer and others within the DNN 9.8 Personabar Site Settings GUI, but without any luck.
    Or perhaps it is simply what is the expected behaviour although users might see the fact that partial matches be rated above complete matches more like a bug.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Veteran Member

did you try to quote your query word, see https://www.lucenetutoria...ne-query-syntax.html

New Around Here

Hello Sebastian
        Thanks for looking into this. I just tried with searchstrings like the two mentioned below:
        API/internalservices/searchService/search?search="julie"&pageIndex=1&pageSize=8&sortOption=0&culture=da-DK&_=1620028752667
        API/internalservices/searchService/search?search=%22julie%22&pageIndex=1&pageSize=8&sortOption=0&culture=da-DK&_=1620028752667
        but it apparently without any changes to the result that keeps on returning matches on 'juli' prior to the searchword of 'julie'. I would have thought the DNN internal services search api added the quotes at the backend.
        A change to the pageSize parameter from 8 to 10 gets the users with a firstname of 'Julie' at the end of the selection.

New Around Here

A little more information concerning the 'mysterious' exception occurring in the den Lucene search engine at a den 9.8 website with around 700 registered users and heavy use of Mandeeps Live Html and EasyDNNNews.
          If you insert the letters 'Julie' (currently three registered site users with this first name) in a request for internal services/searchService, you will receive a lot of hits and the first 8 hits only being references to EasyDNNNewsarticles and only of these containing af complete match on the search word and the others only having partial matches like 'juli'. 
          If you make a request with a search word like 'julio' or 'julin' no hits will be returned at all. 
          This doesn't make sense and why this distinction between 'julie' and other words containg 'juli' and any other fifth letter. Of course I have already tried reindexing with no luck. 
          As mentioned earlier on in this thread:
          If you make a request on 'julie' with a pagesize of 50 you will get hits on the users with a firstname of Julie but only among the last items of the list. 

Any others who can reproduce this issue? I believe it must be general to DNN 9.8.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
          2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
          3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
          4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
          5. No Flaming or Trolling.
          6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
          7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
          8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved