DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Upgrading DNN v7.1.1 that uses AD authentication

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I inherited an old DNN (v7.1.1) website that's setup to use only AD authentication. As it's a live site, I've tried to copy it (database & website), rename the copy and then log in using my normal Windows account username/password and it keeps failing to log me in.

I am not able to reconfigure the website so it would allow me to access the site using the normal forms authentication.

If I create a new v7.1.1 website login and then add the AD authentication, using the setting found in the original website I cannot login using my Windows account details; it's driving me mad!

I created a new DNN v7.1.1 website with forms authentication and I had very few problems getting it upgraded to v9.10.1!

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to look at to resolve this issue?

Note: as a test I created a simple asp.net WebForms application that used forms authentication but making use of LDAP (to access the AD) and create the "FormsAuthenticationTicket"; and, that worked fine with my normal Windows' domain/username/password combination. It also worked if I used the standard windows authentication setting for the webforms application.

By doing a line by line comparison of the web.config file of the original website against the web.config produced after doing a fresh DNN v7.1.1 installation (that also included the installation of the AD authentication module) I was able to get the website copy in a state that allowed me to log into it using my domain/username/password account details.

Apart from the authentication settings, one element of the configuration that I hadn't immediately noticed and that I think actually caused me a lot of the problems was the use of an out-of-process session state service (in the LIVE website):

<sessionState cookieless="UseDeviceProfile" mode="StateServer" stateConnectionString="tcpip=<SERVER NAME>:<PORT>" timeout="200" />.

New Around Here

Hi Chris,

First check if IIS allows Forms Authentication, it can be checked under the Sites-> YourWebsiteName-> Authentication tab. The 'Forms' and 'Anonymous' should be enabled.
      If you can login as 'domain/username/password account details', in database set that user as a host. Simply set '1' for 'IsSuperUser' under table 'Users'.

In database under table 'Authentication' is list of the login providers. First on that list should be the standard DNN login provider, it has 'AuthenticationType' column set to 'DNN'. Make sure that it's enabled, see column 'IsEnabled'.

New Around Here

Dear Barry,

Thanks for the reply. I had already checked out all those option via IIS management etc. but was still having issues with the AD authentication and could not switch it to plain DNN forms authentication because I didn't know the host (superuser) password and the email wasn't working so I couldn't reset the password.

If you look at the bottom of my original post you'll notice that I've actually resolve this issue; and I've included a brief description of how I did it.

Yours

Chris

New Around Here

I've just discovered that the Upgrade process claims that my Windows' username/password isn't correct even though that was how I'd logged into the website before starting the process! Sadly, I don't know the original "host" user's password and I can't reset it via the website's frontend even though my account is a Superuser! Anyone have any ideas how I can proceed from here?
          It's one step forward one step backwards!

Aside: should I be updating this subject via a separate reply (to my own post) as I've done here or should I be editing the original post with any information updates (as I'd done previous)? Not sure what the proper etiquette is on this forum.

New Around Here

For anyone who maybe looking at this issue:

I am still unable to upgrade my website! One minute I can log in the next I can't! Especially if I have to start over because something when wrong with the upgrade process! 

It may have something to do with our use of the Mvolo.Modules.FormsAuthModule wrapper assembly (which I assume is being used as some form of SSO for the other (local) websites that being referenced via IFrames).

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
            2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
            3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
            4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
            5. No Flaming or Trolling.
            6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
            7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
            8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved