DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Can you change the System Default language?

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

Can you change the System Default language?

Our system default language is set to English (united states). Can it be changed to English (uk)?

I think this is why some date formats are set to U.S. version (02/21/2022).

In Admin >> Languages the 'System Default' language is greyed out/locked and I cannot select anything else.

Our cuture is set to uk and site default is also set to uk.

We are using a booking system module and this displays some dates in U.S. format.

using DNN v 9..9.1

Veteran Member

Yes, you can change to UK and disable US, I do that all the time for the same reason

Growing Member

thanks, my problem then, is why my system default language has no drop down arrow to select any other language?

system default language

Veteran Member

AFAIK you cannot change the default system language, but you don't have to.

Veteran Member

The system default language is always en-US, that refers to the language pack without a culture code (which is normally delivered with DNN and any extension). If you change the site's default language, things like the date or number format change accordingly, but if you don't install a en-UK language pack (with resx files like xyz.en-UK.resx), the default file (xyz.resx) will be taken to display static texts. That's why you will still see "gas" instead of "petrol" ;-)

Happy DNNing!
            Michael

Michael Tobisch
            DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
            DNN Connect

Growing Member

thanks.
              It sounds like my language settings are in order then if the System Default should be English US and can't be changed.

So if my site default language is set to my chosen language (English UK), then all my dates should be in this UK format?
              Most of my dates are indeed in UK format as expected, it's just one aspect of one module which displays the incorrect format.
              The module is an Event Planner Module from N A Development. I guess it sounds more like a specific module issue than a DNN settings issue?

Veteran Member

Yes, sounds so. lease get in contact with the vendor to solve this.

Happy DNNing!
                Michael

Michael Tobisch
                DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                DNN Connect
                You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved