DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Portal alias not redirecting after upgrade to 9.9.1

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

Portal Alias not redirecting properly

Hello everyone,

I have recently upgraded the portal site to 9.9.1 from 7.3.4.

When I try to access a url https://abc.com.au/addis , it gives me the following error 

The url does not allow me to redirect to the proper alias site. Only when I type the full url does it redirect properly, eg https://abc.con.au/addis/loginpage.aspx. Otherwise just having the alias ‘/addis’ wont work.

The message reads as follows

AbsoluteURL:/Default.aspx

DefaultDataProvider:DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke

ExceptionGUID:4d71c004-524e-49ae-9034-698d815503ef

AssemblyVersion:9.9.1

PortalId:1

UserId:-1

TabId:125

RawUrl:/addis/|Home.aspx

Referrer:

UserAgent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/98.0.4758.102 Safari/537.36

ExceptionHash:ArLLwqa6hCd8VmsCCOgMUWiXtO4=

Message:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

StackTrace:

InnerMessage:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

InnerStackTrace:

at ASP.desktopmodules_staplesuserinfomodule_view_ascx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer) in c:\SPSPortalTest\SPSEnterpriseTest991\DesktopModules\StaplesUserInfoModule\View.ascx:line 4

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)

at DotNetNuke.UI.Modules.ModuleHost.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)

at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at DotNetNuke.Framework.PageBase.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at DotNetNuke.Framework.DefaultPage.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.Page.<ProcessRequestMainAsync>d__523.MoveNext()

On my PortalAlias table in the db, the HTTPALias is ‘abc.winc.com.au/addis’.

So I believe it is setup correctly. 

I have checked IIS server and web.config, but nothing there indicates what else is required.

Could there be something else I am missing?

Thanks very much for your help.

Roy

Veteran Member

Did you upgrade in one step, or did you follow the DNN Platform Suggested Upgrade Path -- DNN Docs (dnncommunity.org)?

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

New Around Here

Hi Michael,

I did the upgrade in stages 7.3.4 → 8.0.4 → 9.1.1 → 9.4.4 → 9.9.1

Regards,

Roy

Veteran Member

Did it work after every step except the last one (so to say version 9.4.4)?

Have you upgraded the .Net framework? 9.4.x (and higher) need .Net 4.7.2 (or higher).

Happy DNNing!
          Michael

Michael Tobisch
          DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
          DNN Connect

New Around Here

Thanks, Michael.

I tested basic functionality for each step as I upgraded, but not for that particular url activity. I only discovered it a bit later, after the upgrade to 9.9.1.

In the final version 9.9.1, I also created a standard portal template based on the root site. Using that template I was able to create other sites based on it. When I tried typing the url as the above, it all worked. So it seems the newly created sites(post- 9.9.1) worked, but older sites (created prior to 9.9.1) did not with respect to the url test. But those older alias sites would have been upgraded along with the root every step of the way.

The .NET FW version is 4.8.

Would there be another area to look at in configs, IIS, skin, modules or even sql db to find out?

Regards,

Roy

Veteran Member

Roy,

what is StaplesUserInfoModule? It seems from your error logs that this is involved when the exception is fired.

Maybe you need an upgrade for this module as well, there have been some breaking changes since DNN 7.3.4...

Happy DNNing!
              Michael

Michael Tobisch
              DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
              DNN Connect

New Around Here

Hi Michael,

StaplesUserInfoModule is a local module that is used to manage user profiles. This error does not appear when I try entering the URL of a site that I created in the new version. The portal site uses that module to determine user profiles and roles, and it has not been a problem after the upgrade. It only errors out when I try to type just the alias name on the URL, and it fails to redirect to the proper site.

I have a number of other local modules which I did not have to upgrade to the higher version, and they all worked when I tested them.

Regards,

Roy

Veteran Member

the error obviously occurred in this module, which is calling an uninitialized object.

Veteran Member

I agree with Sebastian. Did you write this module yourself? Try to recompile it using a current DNN version, and then debug it to find the error - or ask the vendor for a newer version.

Happy DNNing!
                    Michael

Michael Tobisch
                    DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                    DNN Connect

New Around Here

Thanks very much for your suggestions Michael and Sebastian,

I got it working.

I had to hunt down the source for StaplesUserInfoModule, and target it to .NET FW 4.7.2. It was previously 4.5.1. Then I had to copy the latest DotNetNuke.dll and Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.dll  from the 9.9.1 DNN site. I compiled the solution and copied the latest StaplesUserInfoModule.dll to the bin directory of the site. It worked as expected. There are no other errors with regards to the URL redirection for any of the alias sites.

Thanks again for the tip,

Cheers,

Roy

You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved