DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Modifying "Login" & "Register"

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

New Around Here

I would like to change the word "Login" commonly used to be a user icon, i.e. https://fontawesome.com/icons/user?s=regular

Likewise, I want to hide Register completely. I think I can do the latter easily with CSS, but the former I'm having trouble with. I've tried looking in site settings > languages > translations > local resources > admin > skins > local resources > login.ascx and "translating it" but it didn't effect it at all. Please help!

Veteran Member

Posted By braelef on 18 May 2022 06:54 PM

I would like to change the word "Login" commonly used to be a user icon, i.e. https://fontawesome.com/icons/user?s=regular

To change the word you either use the language editor (Site Settings > Languages > click the edit icon) - I would do tis on the portal level to avoid "resets" by an update (activate the radio button top right that indicates the name of your website). Then select Local Resources > Admin > Skins > App_LocalResources > Login.ascx, and change the key "Login.Text" to the desired value.

Have a look at the DnnBootster skin - there is an example of using a fontawesome symbol.

Likewise, I want to hide Register completely. I think I can do the latter easily with CSS, but the former I'm having trouble with. I've tried looking in site settings > languages > translations > local resources > admin > skins > local resources > login.ascx and "translating it" but it didn't effect it at all. Please help!

Just change the User Registration (Security > Member Accounts > Registration Settings) to "None" and the link will be gone.

Happy DNNing!
      Michael

Michael Tobisch
      DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
      DNN Connect

New Around Here

I modified the Login.ascx via the method you stated (I indicated this in my original post) and nothing changed. The word still says Login.

Veteran Member

He Braelef,

First the easy one: hide the registration option. I would use the default option in DNN which resides in the persona bar under:

- Settings
          - Security
          - Member accounts
          - Registration settings.

This way, the registration is not enabled which is always the best option for this scenario.

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
          Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
          We just love DNN
          https://www.tjeps.com

Veteran Member

Now, the second and more difficult one.

You are looking in the language options which uses the resource files. So, for every language you can create a different word. But if you do not want a word but an icon, you should adjust this in the asxc files (skin files, theme files whatever you call it). The login link is a so called skin object. 

10 pound gorilla made a cheat sheet which always comes in handy for this: https://10poundgorilla.co...ing-Tool#Login 

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
            Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
            We just love DNN
            https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Thanks Tycho

Veteran Member

Michael was referring to the Language Editor, and then mentioned editing a file. I believe that he meant Login.ascx.resx, which it the resource file for the Login control. He mentioned changing a "key," not the .ascx file.

So, if you edit login.ascx.resx (and undoing any changes you did to login.ascx) you should achieve your goal.
                Joe Craig
                DNN MVP
                Patapsco Research Group

Veteran Member

Joe is right, that is exactly what I meant. As an example: One of my customers is Albanian, and she is the only one who shall login to the page - therefore I changed the word "Login" to "hyrje" (which is the Albanian word for login), and propably there are not too many people who will understand it :-).

Happy DNNing!
                  Michael

Michael Tobisch
                  DNN★MVP

dnnWerk Austria
                  DNN Connect
                  You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                  2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                  3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                  4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                  5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                  6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                  7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                  8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved