DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

M365 support for sending email? Legacy SMTP Username/Password to be retired

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Growing Member

Hi Nukers,

Does DNN support sending email via M365 without resorting to legacy username/password authentication?  I currently have sites configured to use Gmail SMTP with a username/password.  In order to use this legacy authentication method, you need to configure Gmail to "allow less secure applications", etc.

Is Oauth / App registrations possible to send email, or is SMTP the only way wtih DNN?

Veteran Member

Yes. Which version of DNN are you using.

More recent releases of DNN allow you to use separate SMTP configurations, should you choose. You can also specify the username and password for the SMTP server.

Administrative email from a particular site uses that site's administrative user as the sender, but not as the user who connects to the SMTP server.

Look under Servers in the Persona Bar to configure the SMTP server(s).
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm using DNN Platform v09.10.02 (0).

I have been using SMTP with GMail, but am really asking if a more modern way of sending email is supported by DNN.  Legacy username/password connections are being phased-out (security risk), and email providers are stopping authentications via this mechanism.

Does DNN have any options other than basic username/passwords and SMTP to send email?

New Around Here

I am in the same boat. My company uses Office365 and while we have been tying into SMTP via basic auth to an Office 365 account that had send-as rights, that is coming to an end in October by Microsoft.

https://docs.microsoft.co...tion-exchange-online

If anyone has any info on how to make this work going forward, it would be greatly appreciated, as I'm trying to figure out how to move forward with this.

Growing Member

Yes, this is an urgent issue and needs a solution asap. It is not just outbound traffic but also modules that use POP to collect mail from POP3 servers at O365.

Growing Member

Growing Member

Growing Member

I hope the devs behind DNN are taking this seriously. Isn't the commercial version of DNN built on top of the platform version? If so, maybe the EVOQ people should be doing something?

I lost track of how DNN is structured years ago...

Growing Member

Evoq is maintained by DNNCorp but that seems to be dead. The community version is very much alive and you can count on the community for solutions. I have already spoken to one of the core members on this issue. Keep an eye on the progress here https://github.com/dnnsoftware/Dnn.Platform

Veteran Member

I created a GitHub issue for this:

https://github.com/dnnsof...Platform/issues/5139
                    If you have suggestions for a fix / solution for this, please add a comment to the Github issue.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                    Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                    2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                    3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                    4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                    5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                    6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                    7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                    8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved