DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

Moving content between portals

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Growing Member

We have two portals A & B, same 9.3 version; B has some additional page work that we would like to copy to A.  For info B is in France and A the UK. 

The assumption is that if we straight copy B's Portal files to overwrite A, then A's SQL wont cope with the unknown content?

Anyone have a simple method for doing that by any chance?

thanks

Veteran Member

You can do a straight copy of files from one installation to another. You'll need to do a file synchronization on the installation to which the files are copied. Note, this is a copy from /portals/N to /portals/N.

That doesn't completely get you content, at least not the part stored in modules.

For that, and depending on the number of pages, I would export pages from the first site, move the page template files to the new installation, and then import the pages there. Content will be moved if you export the pages with content and the modules support iPortable.

One caveat is that I'm not sure how this works on DNN 9.x. I've not tried that.

But DNN 9.x has a new export/import feature that may make this simpler.
      Joe Craig
      DNN MVP
      Patapsco Research Group

Growing Member

So worth an experiment I think.

Thanks for the pointer.

Ken

Growing Member

Having problems tracking down the location of the portal export files, as now realise the differential version of this can be used for deployment to the working portal.

The export template and resource files not showing in persona bar or cant find them on the site templates folders.

Where should I look?

Veteran Member

Growing Member

thanks

Growing Member

Thanks, want seeing the wood for the tees.
                You are not authorized to post a reply.

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved