DNN Forums

Ask questions about your website to get help learning DNN and help resolve issues.

DNN 9.1.1 to 9.3.2 Error after upgrade

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

New Around Here

Hi All,

I've spend the day trying to upgrade from DNN 7.4 to DNN 8.0.4 then DNN 9.1.1.
    All of them upgraded success with a little issues (had to turn off some schedule tasks to make 8.0.4 to 9.1.1 work)

The issue now is that I tried to upgrade from 9.1.1 to 9.3.2, now recieving these errors which I cant find out how to fix.

If someone has any suggestions or if these errors look familar, any information is handy at this point :) thank you!

[WebVM][Thread:7][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - System.IndexOutOfRangeException: TermsTabId
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.FieldNameLookup.GetOrdinal(String fieldName)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetOrdinal(String name)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_Item(String name)
       at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalInfo.Fill(IDataReader dr)
       at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO.FillObjectFromReader(Object objObject, IDataReader dr)

[WebVM][Thread:7][FATAL] DotNetNuke.Web.Common.Internal.DotNetNukeHttpApplication - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalInfo.get_HomeDirectoryMapPath()
       at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettingsController.LoadPortal(PortalInfo portal, PortalSettings portalSettings)
       at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettings.BuildPortalSettings(Int32 tabId, PortalInfo portal)
       at DotNetNuke.HttpModules.UrlRewrite.BasicUrlRewriter.RewriteUrl(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Veteran Member

As the error mentions the url rewriting, I would suggest to verify that the rewriting in the web.config is set to advanced.
      In my own sites that part looks like:

https://www.screencast.com/t/LTlduFFc5

Tjep's digital agencyRegards,
      Tycho de Waard

Tjep's digital agency
      We just love DNN
      https://www.tjeps.com

New Around Here

Hi Tycho,

Good idea, we changed that value from "humanonly" to "advanced" and recieved this on page load:

500 Internal Server Error
        The requested Url does not return any valid content.
        Administrators
        Change this message by configuring a specific 404 Error Page or Url for this website.
        Exception:
        Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
        Stack Trace:
        at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalInfo.get_HomeDirectoryMapPath() at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettingsController.LoadPortal(PortalInfo portal, PortalSettings portalSettings) at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettings.BuildPortalSettings(Int32 tabId, PortalInfo portal) at DotNetNuke.Entities.Urls.AdvancedUrlRewriter.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context, Uri requestUri, Boolean useFriendlyUrls, UrlAction result, FriendlyUrlSettings settings, Boolean allowSettingsChange, Guid parentTraceId)

Also in .log file

2019-11-07 09:59:53,634 [WebVM][Thread:17][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - System.IndexOutOfRangeException: TermsTabId
           at System.Data.ProviderBase.FieldNameLookup.GetOrdinal(String fieldName)
           at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetOrdinal(String name)
           at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_Item(String name)
           at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalInfo.Fill(IDataReader dr)
           at DotNetNuke.Common.Utilities.CBO.FillObjectFromReader(Object objObject, IDataReader dr)

2019-11-07 09:59:53,821 [WebVM][Thread:17][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
           at DotNetNuke.Entities.Urls.CacheController.FindFriendlyUrlParmsConfigFilePath(Int32 portalId, Boolean& portalSpecificFound)
           at DotNetNuke.Entities.Urls.CacheController.GetParameterRedirects(FriendlyUrlSettings settings, Int32 portalId, List`1& messages)

2019-11-07 09:59:53,868 [WebVM][Thread:17][ERROR] DotNetNuke.Entities.Urls.UrlRewriterUtils - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
           at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettingsController.LoadPortal(PortalInfo portal, PortalSettings portalSettings)
           at DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettings.BuildPortalSettings(Int32 tabId, PortalInfo portal)
           at DotNetNuke.Entities.Urls.AdvancedUrlRewriter.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context, Uri requestUri, Boolean useFriendlyUrls, UrlAction result, FriendlyUrlSettings settings, Boolean allowSettingsChange, Guid parentTraceId)

New Around Here

Hi,

I'm attempting an upgrade as well from 9.1.1 to 9.3.2.  I performed the upgrade as per normal steps.  I'm getting the same results.  I changed my web.config to the following instead of advanced and I get the following.  It's a different error than the one above but still can't load my sites.

and I get the following error.  

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
             DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalInfo.get_HomeDirectoryMapPath() +66
             DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettingsController.LoadPortal(PortalInfo portal, PortalSettings portalSettings) +613
             DotNetNuke.Entities.Portals.PortalSettings.BuildPortalSettings(Int32 tabId, PortalInfo portal) +88
             DotNetNuke.HttpModules.UrlRewrite.BasicUrlRewriter.RewriteUrl(Object sender, EventArgs e) +2031
             System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +138
             System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step) +194
             System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +87

Veteran Member

it looks like there are some consistency issues in your database table PortalSettings.
            Please make sure, any row with "TabID" in the SettingName" column has a valid SettingValue, i.e, an eyisting TabID from Tabs table, which is not deleted and belongs to the website (same PortalID) .

New Around Here

Hi

I have recently done an upgrade form 9.1.1 to 9.3.2 which went OK. The jump for 9.3.2 to 9.8 had issues in that I wasn't running the latest ASP.net

My process for preparing has been to take copies of the website files and database, Create a brand new instance on DNN 9.1.1 on my PC (using NVQuickSite). Then replace the files and database (update the web.config) to point at the DB on your PC. Now attempt the upgrade. It eleminates any issue you may have on the server.

Also if you have a server create another version of 9.1.1 and then attempt to update that see if you still get errors.

My version of 9.1.1 only had 3 added modules Reports, AD Login and Datasprings Dynamic Forms. Go for a process of elimination by having parallel "clean" systems.

Hope this helps.

Veteran Member

Using a clone of your site is always best practice (if possible). I prefer manually creating website and copy over files, restore backup from the original database under a new name and adopt connection string in Web.config as well as using a temporary domain name in portalalias database table as default alias for the main site.

The first step of any "larger" upgrade step (across at least minor versions like 9.1.x to 9.2.x) should be a cleanup, with removal of all unnecessary 3rd party extensions (modules, providers, skins and containers) and check of all folders /beneath desktop modules, providers, skins and containers as well as /bin folder for leftovers from previously installed extensions (in most cases, file dates help a lot).
                Next, before you unzip the downloaded DNN upgrade package (don't forget to "unblock" the file) clean subfolders of /install folder from optional components from previous DNN versions.
                Unzip the files and call the website or trigger upgrade by calling /install/install.aspx?mode=upgrade.
                After you validated that the website runs propely, you just need to restore domain address in portalalias table and move over domain binding to the new install.

New Around Here

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I tracked it down to this some sql statements that weren't running.  I ran them manually and was able to load my websites.  It seems to error when trying to run these types of statements.  Should I grant the DNN SQL Account access to all of my databases? 

IF (OBJECT_ID(N'dbo.[fn_CompareVersion]') IS NOT NULL)
                    DROP FUNCTION dbo.[fn_CompareVersion];

The server principal "DATABASE_USER_NAME" is not able to access the database "NON_DNN_DATABASE_NAME" under the current security context.
                     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
                     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
                     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
                     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite)
                     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
                     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
                     at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDatabaseConnectionProvider.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, Int32 commandTimeout, String query)
                     at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider.ExecuteScriptInternal(String connectionString, String script, Int32 timeoutSec)
                  ClientConnectionId:4e13ae22-b7c3-4343-9274-9b94055997b0
                  Error Number:916,State:1,Class:14

Veteran Member

Please check the SQL Server user account, you are using to access the database (specified by the connection string in web.config file of your website). Make sure, the user is mapped to a database user (in top left corner)with dbo as default schema and dbowner permission granted.

New Around Here

Hi Sebastan thanks for your reply as well.  It's mapped to 

dbo for the DNN database in my web.config but should I also have to map it to dbo for non-dnn databases?  

Here's another example of some sql that attempt to be run.

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.sysobjects WHERE id = object_id(N'dbo.[RegisterAssembly]') AND OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsPROCEDURE') = 1)
                        DROP PROCEDURE dbo.[RegisterAssembly]

You are not authorized to post a reply.
                      Page 1 of 212 > >>

These Forums are dedicated to the discussion of DNN Platform.

For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines:

1. If you have (suspected) security issues, please DO NOT post them in the forums but instead follow the official DNN security policy
                      2. No Advertising. This includes the promotion of commercial and non-commercial products or services which are not directly related to DNN.
                      3. No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or other customers to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
                      4. Discussion or promotion of DNN Platform product releases under a different brand name are strictly prohibited.
                      5. No Flaming or Trolling.
                      6. No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
                      7. Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.
                      8. English language posting only, please.

Would you like to help us?

Awesome! Simply post in the forums using the link below and we'll get you started.

Get Involved